Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need youre advice Win M70 270WSM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Bronze Member

Need youre advice Win M70 270WSM

Thinkin about doing a few things to my M70 Coyote 270wsm. It wieghs in right at 10lbs with the 24" factory Medium Heavy barrel and it doesnt have any recoil really noticable at that weight. I would say it probably has around 300 rounds through it and I bought it new in 2003. It will be shot from 0 to around 500 yds and mainly used for deer hunting and probably some on Coyotes(which I have a 223 Rock River Coyote for but have killed 5 with my Short Mag) or for a Kentucky Elk if I ever get Drawn? LOL! I want to keep it as light as I can and still be very accurate. So heres what Im thinkin about doin.

Stock-Manners MCS-Gat

Scope-All ready have a Zeiss 4.5x14x44 to replace the Monarch

Bolt-Flute existing bolt, cerikote matt black and have Bolt Lugs and Bolt Face trued

Brake-Gentry Quiet break for less noise than most but still cut down on muzzle flip

Barrel-This is were I cant make my mind up? I want a fluted barrel to help get the weight down but do I have the one I have fluted or replace with new fluted barrel and if so who should I get to make the barrel? What length? What contour? I should add that I mostly shoot 130 and 140 grainers mostly in ballistic tips and accubonds. If I get a new barrel then Ill have the action trued as well.Dont forget I want to keep the weight down as much as I can. Thanks ahead of time for the info and take care.

Last edited by KyScott; 11-24-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Need youre advice Win M70 270WSM

I forgot to add that the trigger is nice so I'll keep it as is. I'll pick a barrel maker later just give me some advice on contour and length for a 270wsm. Should I stay at 24" or go down in contour and go longer? I know you guys have more knowledge about this than me. Help me out here. Thanks again and take care.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

With 500yds being your outside limit you have lots of options.

What you might consider doing is having it cut, set back fluted all with the original barrel.

At the sme time have it cut to a max length of 22" as from what I read the 270wsm is efficient enough you probably aren't gaining much if any velocity with a longer barrel.

Of course have a good, recessed Target crown job done at the same time.

On the brake, if you do much if any prone shooting at all I'd avoid any of them that have the 360 Degree discharge pattern because they will cause a lot of dust being kicked up some of which will end up back in your face.

I put the Shrewd Varmint Brake (Brownell's I think maybe Midway) on my .260 and really like it. It discharges slightly forward and only to the sides and controls muzzle flip ver well.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyScott View Post

Thinkin about doing a few things to my M70 Coyote 270wsm. It wieghs in right at 10lbs with the 24" factory Medium Heavy barrel and it doesnt have any recoil really noticable at that weight. I would say it probably has around 300 rounds through it and I bought it new in 2003. It will be shot from 0 to around 500 yds and mainly used for deer hunting and probably some on Coyotes(which I have a 223 Rock River Coyote for but have killed 5 with my Short Mag) or for a Kentucky Elk if I ever get Drawn? LOL! I want to keep it as light as I can and still be very accurate. So heres what Im thinkin about doin.

Stock-Manners MCS-Gat

Scope-All ready have a Zeiss 4.5x14x44 to replace the Monarch

Bolt-Flute existing bolt, cerikote matt black and have Bolt Lugs and Bolt Face trued

Brake-Gentry Quiet break for less noise than most but still cut down on muzzle flip

Barrel-This is were I cant make my mind up? I want a fluted barrel to help get the weight down but do I have the one I have fluted or replace with new fluted barrel and if so who should I get to make the barrel? What length? What contour? I should add that I mostly shoot 130 and 140 grainers mostly in ballistic tips and accubonds. If I get a new barrel then Ill have the action trued as well.Dont forget I want to keep the weight down as much as I can. Thanks ahead of time for the info and take care.

If you STALK deer...then pay no attention to anything I say here. BTW...Im no big fan of WSM calibers but I do understand their killing power...etc.

For you...I wouldnt do a single thing except of course change the scope.

Less weight gets you more muzzle flip ( same as when you shave weight by fluting it)
$$$ syn stock gets you a lot more "Ohoooo's...and Ahhhh's"...and your gain is nothing
Fluted barrel bolt....same thing

For what you have described here ( not even counting the $$$ stock) You can KEEP the rifle you have and buy a Rem 700 LS in the caliber you might want. I paid $580 for mine...so add up what a stock and barrel PLUS having the barrel chambered and fitted.

What you presently have is doing you perfect for "ambushing" deer of killing Yotes
Old 11-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Gold Member

The first thing I would consider on your gun is a more sturdy scope mounting platform with a picatinny base or bases and sturdier rings. IMO the Redfield scope mounting system purely stinks. I've seen a lot of great guns get blamed for shooting poorly because of those nasty scope mounts.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
If you STALK deer...then pay no attention to anything I say here. BTW...Im no big fan of WSM calibers but I do understand their killing power...etc.

For you...I wouldnt do a single thing except of course change the scope.

Less weight gets you more muzzle flip ( same as when you shave weight by fluting it)
$$$ syn stock gets you a lot more "Ohoooo's...and Ahhhh's"...and your gain is nothing
Fluted barrel bolt....same thing

For what you have described here ( not even counting the $$$ stock) You can KEEP the rifle you have and buy a Rem 700 LS in the caliber you might want. I paid $580 for mine...so add up what a stock and barrel PLUS having the barrel chambered and fitted.

What you presently have is doing you perfect for "ambushing" deer of killing Yotes
Good point.

For the same money it would cost to modify this one, one could buy a complete lighter weight rifle in 7mm mag or even 300wm, or any of the short mag calibers as well.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
With 500yds being your outside limit you have lots of options.

What you might consider doing is having it cut, set back fluted all with the original barrel.

At the sme time have it cut to a max length of 22" as from what I read the 270wsm is efficient enough you probably aren't gaining much if any velocity with a longer barrel.

Of course have a good, recessed Target crown job done at the same time.

On the brake, if you do much if any prone shooting at all I'd avoid any of them that have the 360 Degree discharge pattern because they will cause a lot of dust being kicked up some of which will end up back in your face.

I put the Shrewd Varmint Brake (Brownell's I think maybe Midway) on my .260 and really like it. It discharges slightly forward and only to the sides and controls muzzle flip ver well.
Dont know if I want to make it any shorter Just thought that maybe I should go above the 24" to maybe a 26". I never lay down and shoot most of the time im sitting in a stand shootinf off of sand bags or sitting shooting off of bipods but I will definately check out the Shrewd. Is it considered to be one of the quieter Breaks? Thanks for thi info and take care.