Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need your guys' help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 06:10 PM

Need your guys' help.

Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker and finally registered to get some input from you. I recently purchased a used Browning A-Bolt Medallion in .243 WSSM. I took the gun to the range, and it was all over the paper. I noticed the scope was quite dinged up so I'm hoping it's just that. I ordered a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 and will slap that on as soon as it gets here. In the off chance it still won't ground I'm thinking I'll likely sell the gun. I'm torn between what kind of gun, and what caliber to get though. I've been thinking about Remington 700's, or a Savage of some sort. I'd ideally like to buy a gun that I can modify to my liking (stock, barrel, trigger, etc.) I will be using the gun for deer hunting (out to 400 yards mostly), occasional p-dog trip, and paper out to 1000 hopefully. I've somewhat narrowed it down to two calibers, .243 Winchester or 6.5-284. I'm a whole 140 pounds so recoil is bothersome to me, and if I had a 6.5-284 I'd obviously have a muzzle brake. What would you guys suggest?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Need your guys' help.

Both calibers are great. I have a 243 that I've had since 1998 and it still shoot great. I have also been thinking about the 6.5x284. Flat shooting gun. Capable of easily going to 1000 yard mark. But the 6.5x284 isn't that easy on barrels. If you keep the barrel clean and don't let it get too hot while shooting, you could get more rounds down the tube. A fellow was shooting a 6.5x284 this past weekend and said he should've gotten 1100 rounds out of his barrel but has over 1200. Hope this helps in your decision.

Jason
Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

for your needs I would get a .260 Rem.
More energy than the .243, and you get to use those slippery 6.5mm bullets.
If your really recoil sensitive the .243win is a great choice, you just gotta be VERY picky when shooting game at Long range.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

If your looking for a factory rifle to get to 1k you should look at the savage model 12 lrp in 260rem, 26" 8 twist heavy fluted barrel, target action modified for dbm, hs precision pro series stock, weighs right at 10#s with no optics, will push 130 bergers about 2950 and 140s a little over 2800, will do all your looking for and recoil about like a sporter weight 22-250, or a savage 111 lrh in 6.5x284 which comes with a break. A 243 is very 1k capable but I am not aware of any company offering it in the 8 twist it really needs for the heavy bullets needed for that distance unless you use the custom shop at one of the major manufacturers.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Gold Member

For praire dogs, big game to 400 and paper punching to 1000, I sure like my .243. If you are looking to do the gunsmithing yourself, Savage seems the way to go.

Backwoods is correct about nobody offering an 8 twist. The nice thing about a Savage is you can change the barrel yourself. That's what I did. Put a Criterion 28" Varmint with a 1 in 8 twist on to stabalize the 105's and 107's. Not enough twist for the 115's. 1 in 7.5 twist for those.

Having said that, many people are having luck with 1 in 9.25 twists and the 105 or 107's. But, that is a roll of the dice.

Nice thing about the Savage, if it doesn't work, you can change the barrel yourself.

Let's all just hope it was your scope and all is well without any other worries. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbuttolph View Post
Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker and finally registered to get some input from you. I recently purchased a used Browning A-Bolt Medallion in .243 WSSM. I took the gun to the range, and it was all over the paper. I noticed the scope was quite dinged up so I'm hoping it's just that. I ordered a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 and will slap that on as soon as it gets here. In the off chance it still won't ground I'm thinking I'll likely sell the gun. I'm torn between what kind of gun, and what caliber to get though. I've been thinking about Remington 700's, or a Savage of some sort. I'd ideally like to buy a gun that I can modify to my liking (stock, barrel, trigger, etc.) I will be using the gun for deer hunting (out to 400 yards mostly), occasional p-dog trip, and paper out to 1000 hopefully. I've somewhat narrowed it down to two calibers, .243 Winchester or 6.5-284. I'm a whole 140 pounds so recoil is bothersome to me, and if I had a 6.5-284 I'd obviously have a muzzle brake. What would you guys suggest?

Thanks
The .260 Rem is made to order for your criteria.

Before you give up on what you have though take it to a competent gunsmith and let them do a good float and bed on it and see if it doesn't help.

If you can't get it to shoot well enough to suit you, then come back and we'll talk options.

One question... . Have you shot better than 1 MOA groups with anything before?

How new are you to rifle shooting in general?

More often than not when a gun is literally all over the paper at 100 yards the problem is user related more than anything else.

Remember the best precision rig ever built will still be all over the paper if the shooter isn't doing their part.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The .260 Rem is made to order for your criteria.

Before you give up on what you have though take it to a competent gunsmith and let them do a good float and bed on it and see if it doesn't help.

If you can't get it to shoot well enough to suit you, then come back and we'll talk options.

One question... . Have you shot better than 1 MOA groups with anything before?

How new are you to rifle shooting in general?

More often than not when a gun is literally all over the paper at 100 yards the problem is user related more than anything else.

Remember the best precision rig ever built will still be all over the paper if the shooter isn't doing their part.
I have been shooting rifles since i was about 10. I can shoot .25 to .5 MOA out to 500 yards pretty easily with my .204 and .25-06. I thought it could have been me shooting at first, but had a friend that shot it and couldn't get it any better than my groups.