Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need your advice for young hunter/shooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: Need your advice for young hunter/shooter

I have soft spot for the 243. I done own one yet but will soon. Low recoil and will kill deer out there a ways. Great gun.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

Thanks SBruce, good advice. I will be very consciouse of the recoil. I am still weighing all the options.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetman2 View Post
Thanks SBruce, good advice. I will be very consciouse of the recoil. I am still weighing all the options.
You're welcome.

Best of luck to you and the daughter, I think it's great she's interested in hunting. I wish we could get more ladies interested in not only hunting, but shooting in general. The antigunners would have alot harder time getting anything done with alot of women on "our" side.

If you think the 270 or 6.5-284 will work for her, I'd be concerned about an 8lb rifle kicking too hard. Probably better off with a 260 or light loads in 7-08 with a light rifle. IMO.

I friend of mine is also a fairly big guy, about 6' tall and 260 lbs. He shoots with a Past recoil pad between his shoulder and the gun when he shoots his 8# 280 for practice, he says it isn't any fun without it. Something about those light rifles in long action calibers that seem to punch pretty good sometimes.

Take Care,

Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetman2 View Post
I am going to set my 14 yr old daughter up with a semi-long range rifle. I am trying to determine weight & caliber that would best fit both long range shooting and hunting scenerios. I am thinking of the 260 Rem, the 270 win, or the 6.5x284 Norma. I would like to keep the weight at 8lbs or slightly less minus the glass. She is quite a shot and loves to shoot. Last evening she drilled a bedded whitetail buck with my 7mm08 at 233 yards in the brisket (a 9") target right at last light. So, she has great fundamentals including a trigger finger and patience. This was her 5th deer, each getting farther out and growing in confidence. So what do you think?
Why don't you put together a list of rifles that she can tolerate the recoil with that would do what she needs and let her research them and make the decision. If she has taken five bucks she seems to be interested enough to enjoy making the decision.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 11-08-2012, 01:18 AM
Silver Member

I just weighed my 7mm08, it weighs in @ 9.4 lbs with a VX3 4.5x14x50 which is about 1.3 lbs I believe. She shoots that very comfortably. So an 8.5 lb gun w/o optics should be ok with a good recoil pad and the 270 seems to be at the upper edge for recoil from what I can figure. I am leaning toward another 7mm08 that would be more accurate than my little vanguard, maybe a new S2 vanguard or a savage, or rebarrel my little vanguard. The 270 seems a nice fit ballistically, but bullet selection is a little more limited.

As for her helping with the selection, she just wants me to choose for her. She is really easy to work with on this and yes, she really likes to shoot and to hunt as have all four of my daughters, all very accomplished hunters. But she is definately the best shot in the family at her age. We did a family top shot comp this summer with a bunch of friends and all 6 of my kids. She won nearly all the stages. She's just a natural.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Bronze Member

i am 14, 5'6" 110lbs and i shoot a 7mm rem mag thats 13lbs but has a break on it and i can shoot it all day. i would suggest a 270 with a good recoil pad and the new 150gr nosler accubond long range bullets there coming out with or the 6.5x284
Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerspoons View Post
i am 14, 5'6" 110lbs and i shoot a 7mm rem mag thats 13lbs but has a break on it and i can shoot it all day. i would suggest a 270 with a good recoil pad and the new 150gr nosler accubond long range bullets there coming out with or the 6.5x284
A modernly braked 11lb 7mag or 300 mag feels about like a 260. There is no way in hell I'd want to shoot an unbraked magnum often enough to be good with it. The biggest downside to brakes is the noise. Dont get me wrong, I love shooting braked guns with ear plugs in, but hate hunting with earplugs in! It's important to be able to hear rattlesnakes, or brush movement, or deer running, or coyotes howling or even shots off in the distance. I have yet to find a type of hearing protection that is comfortable for wearing all day while walking but still allow good hearing when not shooting.........I've spent in the neighborhood of about $2000 in my attempts and have failed to find something satisfactory for my style of hunting. Now if someone would come out with a form fitting super comfortable ear plug that has Walkers Game Ear high def digital technology enclosed inside and didn't cost $1000 or more, I'd have a break on every gun I own that's bigger than 243.

Some people are oblivious to recoil and it simply doesn't bother them, but most people will find it tiring at best and painful or even ruining at worst. Especially when practicing for LR hunting, shooting competition, or doing load testing and development.

There is a noticable difference in recoil (not alot but noticable) between a 260 and a 270 IMO, assuming all else is equal. The 270 or 6.5-284 are pushing the same weight bullet about 200'/sec faster than the 260 and using more powder to do it. The amount of powder used, the speed of the bullet, the weight of the bullet and weight of the rifle are all necessary variables when calculating recoil energy, recoil momemtum and recoil velocity.

Last edited by SBruce; 11-08-2012 at 02:10 PM.