Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need shooting help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 12:50 PM

Need shooting help!

Gentlemen,
First time on this type of forum but find I need advise from the experts. I do a lot of serious shooting and am very particular. I do a lot of deer managment and harvest 300+ animals a year for managment purposes. All of my shots are head shots at 100 to 250 yards using a ruger #1 in 223. One of my clients gave me a new "long shooter" for Christmas and need help with where to start. It is a Ruger M77 Mark 2 out of the Ruger custom shop. It had several stops after that to have the lands buffed and polished, custom 2# trigger, bedded, jewelled and on and on. Topped off with a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 illum. Mil dot scope. It's in a 308 by the way. I live on a frozen lake and coyote are just out of range for anything else I have and want to take a few at 600 to 1000 yrds. This machine is suppose to do it. Can anyone give advice on a long range school I can attend during the winter. I will be in Texas and Oklahoma catching deer from mid-February til mid-March but can work around about any schedule if it is in any of the southern states. Heard there was a good one in Arizona but no luck finding anything on the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Keep up the good work and happy hunting!turtlelake@starband.net
Old 12-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: Need shooting help!

Central Virginia Tactical, Mr. Vern Harrison. I sent an e-mail to you.
|| Central Virginia Tactical || Precision Long Range Rifle Training || Home ||

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a couple of resources......

YouTube - Porcupine Adventures Long Range Rifle Shooting School - The The website mentioned in this video doesn't seem to work, but there's a phone number.

Thompson Shooting Systems, Inc. – Specializing in Long Range Rifle Shooting - Hunting DVD

Classes 2008 This is Shawn Carlock's company. Shawn is on this board. Many on this board have taken his course and used his gunsmith services. He is highly regarded.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

there is a place called Rifles Only just south of Kingsville Texas.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge (defensiveedge.net) teaches a class. By all reports, a great one. Don't know if he does one in the winter. He also offers a fantastic how to video.

I believe goodgrouper teaches a class.

I'm not a fan of Thompsons systems. They make work for you.

I also teach a class. One day, $125, flexible scheduling.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Gold Member

Rather than a "shooting school" consider getting involved in F-class prone competition with that new .308 rifle. Most of the NRA highpower F-class guys are very friendly and helpful with new competitors. With F-class, there's not a lot of specialized equipment required either. Put the rifle on a bipod, get a rear bag for it, and go shoot.

A typical F-class/prone match is 66 rounds for record, broken into three strings of 20, plus two "sighters" for each. It will teach you to read the wind and mirage very well. Matches are held in pretty much every state, nearly year-round. We even shoot here in Washington in the snow! Silly us. Shooting with the other match shooters is a wonderful education in precision shooting at long range. F-class is out to 1000 yards, so that should scratch your long-range itch!

If you're hooked on a school, I believe there's a place down in Texas called "Rifles Only" or something like that. Has a good reputation among the sniper-types.

Regards, Guy