Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need opinions on Rem SPS stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Gold Member

Need opinions on Rem SPS stock

Just as the title says - I have no first hand experience with the SPS line but the general attitude is to throw the stock away before you even get going. I am going to help a young man buy a rifle, get it up and running and get his feet wet out to 1000 yds. on steel/paper. It'll be either a 308 or 260 - that decision has been made and is final.

My question is can I get a factory SPS to be adequate using the standard stock - I know I can get a Savage to do what we need to do from prior experience.

Thanks in advance for those of you that have found adequate results and what you did to get there.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need opinions on Rem SPS stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Just as the title says - I have no first hand experience with the SPS line but the general attitude is to throw the stock away before you even get going. I am going to help a young man buy a rifle, get it up and running and get his feet wet out to 1000 yds. on steel/paper. It'll be either a 308 or 260 - that decision has been made and is final.

My question is can I get a factory SPS to be adequate using the standard stock - I know I can get a Savage to do what we need to do from prior experience.

Thanks in advance for those of you that have found adequate results and what you did to get there.
SPS rifles will run you around $550-650. They have a throw-away stock on them. And they also usually have a sporter barrel, which will not be great for LR shooting. Not that it won't work, but they're not known to be as accurate.

A MUCH better and MUCH more solid platform rifle to start out with, would be the new Remington 700 Long Range chambered in 7mm RemMag or .300 WinMag. It already has the Bell & Carlson Medalist M40 stock on it, 26" sendero/varmint contour heavy barrel, hinged floorplate, and is (from what I've read) a pretty fair LR contender right out of the box. And it's only $699-799.

For the money, that would be a much better alternative, and starting point for getting into the LR game.

Also, for affordable optics and all, I would look into an EGW HD 20MOA base, TPS TSR 30mm low height aluminum picatinny rings, and a Konus M-30 8.5-32x52 scope. You will have around $500 in optics.

So, you'll have a great starter gun for $699. Scope is $349. Rings are $81. Base is $71. So, you're looking at a grand total for getting started LR shooting for exactly $1,200+ tax (rifle).

You can get the scope, rings, and base from Midway USA.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

The stock is ok, but mine delivered a little better accuracy with a new stock and was much more comfortable and steady as well.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Bronze Member

Here is a pic of my SPS and results Lets see some pics of you 300 win and groups

I have successfully shot this rifle at 450yrds with the original stock and a small 3-9 scope. If it were me I would put a Boyd's stock on it and a decent scope, that way you don't break the budget and you can upgrade the stock when you rebarrel the rifle if the boy really likes long range shooting. I'll say the SPS stock is junk, but i've had good results with the barrell, I know others have not. Have fun shooting, then upgrade
Old 05-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Silver Member

I modified mine to stiffen the front end with carbon fiber rods and JB weld along with pillar and glass bedded the action. I upgraded to a BC medalist in a weatherby style stock and the flex on the forend was no different than my mod'ed SPS, i.e. not great. Of course the bedding block make the BC better but if I was saving money all the way, I would just mod the Tupperware stock. I bought my SPS for the right price with full intentions up upgrading everything on it. If I was going to buy once and not upgrade it. I think the suggestion of the 700 LR is a good bet. Good glass is a must past 500 yards.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

+1 Mudrunner

My SPS shoots great now that it's been trued, has a new barrel, stock, and trigger.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

I think the key to the original post is his caliber selection. I don't believe either of those calibers are offered in the new 700 LR.

Agreed with the rest, it isn't a great stock. But.....could you shoot it to lets say 500yds as he become proficient and then upgrade a little? Probably. Most people here are in agreement that the action/barrel portion is still pretty descent on the SPS. Being it's a younger guy just getting going on this game, might be good to start him out and then he can modify as he goes. I don't know about anybody else, but I didn't get to start out with anything too fancy to start. It's all a growing progression. As his shooting level and passion grows, so will his list of upgrades like the rest of us!!!! lol