Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need new "light" rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 11:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: Need new "light" rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
Throats are an issue in the 6.5x284. Something you're probably familiar with since you've been using a 300 rum.
I'll say that Ramshot Magnum is much nicer on throats than the Retumbo ever was........
Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

The .280 AI and 7mm WSM are neck and neck just behind the 7mm Rem Mag with comparable bullets.

There's a couple of good threads here if you do a little searching specifically detailing out kills on Moose, Elk, Both species of Bear etc so the performance is certainly there.

I was just eyeballing an awfully nice stainless M 70 in 30wsm (again just a hair lower on performance than the 300wm) over on Gunbroker. It'll probably sell under 800.00.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=376849771

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=376110233#PIC

The WSM's certainly have their place and the application you are talking about just screams for either the 7mm wsm or .264wsm (same case just necked down to 6.5).

I don't own one yet but I keep leaning towards the 325wsm in the Model 70 coyote light model.

They are not "light" in that they are not a mountain rifle weight, but they are lighter than the Sendero by a couple of pounds if I remember right. The taper on the muzzle is similar to a light varmint contour. I read somewhere on Winchester's site that the taper is similar to that of the Sendero but finishes around .750 at the muzzle end instead of .830.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

IF you want good horse power and a mild recoiling rifle my list would go like this
.284 win, .280 AI, 7WSM, .270 WSM, 6.5 WSM, 6.5X.284
While all of these calibers are very comparable I think when barrel life, energy consideration, action size and trajectory are considered... .270 WSM and the 7WSM would be on the top of my list.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Silver Member

We are actually going to shoot the 280AI and the 270 WSM today after work. Havent shot either caliber. Maybe I live under a rock, but as many comments as there are about the WSM's, I never hear or see many with them or shooting them. Wouldnt mind trying one myself.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

I've shot several WSM's (7mm & 300), and they are good calibers. The .280 AI is honestly one of the smoothest calibers I've ever shot, for the performance you get out of it. It's nowhere near the heavy recoil as the magnums in lightweight rifles, but it only sits about 150 fps shy of the 7mm RemMag's MV...

I have an old Ruger ultra-light (skeleton stock/stainless) 6 lb. 7mmRM, and it's brutal to sight-in. I have a buddy that shoots an old 700 ADL .270 Win, and he put 2 rounds through the Ruger and got up and said, "DONE!" and walked off. It's not a pleasure to shoot by any means. It doesn't bother me, since I've had it for 11 years now, but it only gets brought out on hunts where I'll be doing some walking or stalk-hunting.

I am not a recoil-sensative person. I've never been scared to pull the trigger on anything in my life. This is just my experiences with lightweight magnum rifles. The WSM's won't be any exception to the rule from my experiences. They are great calibers, just not very light in the recoil department.

But everyone has a different experience with every gun.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.

Last edited by MudRunner2005; 11-19-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Silver Member

I would go with a short action 7 SAUM with extended mag box , you can shoot 162 gr bullets ,and the recoil is mild .Save weight with short action ,less recoil , and still reach out to 700 and put game down with out a problem. Not to mention that the 7mm cal; has wide variety of good BC bullets.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Silver Member

Thanks everyone. Just to set my ego stranght...... its not that Im recoil sensitive. I've shot a 300 RUM for years before Kirby Allen put a break on my first one. I just hate the feeling of a grenade going off and having to ask the person next to me, "where did I hit?" I love the 300 RUM with the Painkiller break on it.....I can always see bullet impact, but its the weight of the rifle that mostly bothers me. Now with all that said, I dont want an ultra light rifle with the recoil of an "unbreaked" ultra mag. I want a pleasant gun to shoot, and without the need to put a break on it to see bullet impact or "almost" impact......if that makes sense. In about 2 hours, Im gonna send a few 280AI down range as well as the 270WSM. Can't wait. Ill for sure look into the 7SAUM as well. I couldn't even find brass.