Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need new "light" rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Need new "light" rifle?

Too get to the point, I'm tired of packing around a heavy 300 RUM everywhere I go on the prairies for miles, but at the same time, its comforting knowing that I have a gun that will perform well out to extreme ranges. I rarely shoot over 700 yards on anything other than steel. I had this gun built a few years ago and its definitely a shooter for sure, but I know there are other options out there. I haven't owned many calibers, but I know there are some great light weight 700 yard guns out there that WONT turn your shoulder to burger after every shot. So, I'm really looking for a light weight rifle, less recoil than a 300 RUM or even a 300 mag, and capable of 700 yard max range on game up to big mule deer. I've had lots of options thrown my way in calibers.......

243, 25-06, 260, 6.5x284, 280AI......etc..

I'm really not sure on what route to take. I know theres some real performance calibers out there. I'm sure all these calibers are more than capable, but this is the place to ask. I'll be having a local gentleman build the caliber of my choice once I decide, and will stick with the NF 5.5-22x50. That's about the most weight I want to add along with the Seekins rings/base. Really want to keep it light. As far as the build, the gun builder will obviously use the barrel contour of my choice, etc......mainly just looking for a great 700 yard caliber that will perform nicely on large mule deer. Thanks!!!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need new "light" rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooters View Post
Too get to the point, I'm tired of packing around a heavy 300 RUM everywhere I go on the prairies for miles, but at the same time, its comforting knowing that I have a gun that will perform well out to extreme ranges. I rarely shoot over 700 yards on anything other than steel. I had this gun built a few years ago and its definitely a shooter for sure, but I know there are other options out there. I haven't owned many calibers, but I know there are some great light weight 700 yard guns out there that WONT turn your shoulder to burger after every shot. So, I'm really looking for a light weight rifle, less recoil than a 300 RUM or even a 300 mag, and capable of 700 yard max range on game up to big mule deer. I've had lots of options thrown my way in calibers.......

243, 25-06, 260, 6.5x284, 280AI......etc..

I'm really not sure on what route to take. I know theres some real performance calibers out there. I'm sure all these calibers are more than capable, but this is the place to ask. I'll be having a local gentleman build the caliber of my choice once I decide, and will stick with the NF 5.5-22x50. That's about the most weight I want to add along with the Seekins rings/base. Really want to keep it light. As far as the build, the gun builder will obviously use the barrel contour of my choice, etc......mainly just looking for a great 700 yard caliber that will perform nicely on large mule deer. Thanks!!!
Of your choices there the .243 is pretty light in the shorts for 700yds on anything but varmints. Yes if you make an absolutely perfect shot you can expect clean kills on larger animals with it at that range, but at that range of course absolutely perfect shots are rare.

You are leaving off the .264wm and 7mm Rem mag as well as the .30wsm and 7mm wsm all of which are good choices for your needs. The .280 Rem and .284 win should be considered as well.

Of those you list though my choice would be either the .260 or 6.5x284.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

284 win running 168s. 6.5x284 running 140s if you need less recoil. Throats are an issue in the 6.5x284. Something you're probably familiar with since you've been using a 300 rum.

Forgot to throw the 308 in there. With the right bullets, 700 yards is cake for even the largest mulies.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Watch this 688 yd. .243 drop a cow elk.

joseph
Old 11-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

.280 Ackley Improved...Hands-down.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Watch this 688 yd. .243 drop a cow elk.

Kasandra Cow elk 688yds.mp4 - YouTube

joseph
Yes, we've all seen it. That doesn't make it the caliber of choice for doing so. A perfect shot with a bullet that performs perfectly will kill just about anything at long range.

The problem is, getting perfect shot placement and perfect bullet performance at long range is the exception rather than the rule.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

I wouldn't settle for just any of the guns on that list, I was just mentioning a few that have been thrown my way. I've had quite a few try and steer me toward the 280 AI. I'm really not familiar with any of the short mags, or the Ackleys either. I'm very interested in them, just a little unsure. I think the 260 would be the lightest I'd go, but don't car much for a 300 win. The 308 is not on my list either. Very accurate, just never been a fan.