Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need help with "true velocity" for a drop chart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 04:23 PM

Need help with "true velocity" for a drop chart

I'm trying to figure out a drop chart and need to know what the true velocity of my load is. I am trying to do this without a chronograph ( I have a Oehler 35 but I do not trust its numbers).
I'm shooting a 7mm RM. loaded with 180 grain Bergers (stated BC is .672), zeroed at 200 yards. Went shooting this morning to recheck my numbers as the ones I got last week gave me two vastly different calculated true velocities and I figured I must have done something wrong. I ended up with very similar results today. Conditions Wind none, temp 65, pressure 25.20, elevation 4950.
465 yards 5.1" high (5 shot group) using the G7 program the velocity is calculated at 2915. I then move to 753 yards and shoot a group 2.8" low the calculated velocity is 2686. Nearly 250 fps different. Same load, same gun, same shooter. I checked the distances with two different range finders multiple times. These data are very close to last weeks numbers so they are reproducible but they close are far numbers do not correlate. Any thoughts?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need help with "true velocity" for a drop chart

This might be a dumb question. Are you using the g7, ballistic coefficient of the bullet iin a G7 calibrated program. If you use G7 BC 's with a G1 program you will get screwy velocities. The value. you site appears to be a G1 value. The G7 value is a lower value. I tried what your doing and was able to get pretty close. While it is claimed that the G7 is a better formula, I was able to match up very close to my chronograph using G1. I also have trouble trusting or relying only on my chronograph.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
This might be a dumb question. Are you using the g7, ballistic coefficient of the bullet iin a G7 calibrated program. If you use G7 BC 's with a G1 program you will get screwy velocities. The value. you site appears to be a G1 value. The G7 value is a lower value. I tried what your doing and was able to get pretty close. While it is claimed that the G7 is a better formula, I was able to match up very close to my chronograph using G1. I also have trouble trusting or relying only on my chronograph.
agreed, no way the G7 BC for a 180 berger is that high
RR
Old 07-30-2011, 11:09 PM

no i'm using the G1 BC. Just using the "ballistic calculator powered by G7" sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

What is the farthest distance you are going to shoot. If you know that answer you could shoot at distances out to 400 or 500 yds and have a custom turret made for that particular load. Then all you will have to do is range the target hold for the wind and shoot.

This is what I did and it worked perfectly:

Drop chart. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

gt40
Old 07-31-2011, 02:04 PM

I understand knowing your gun, but mathematically there must be something I'm doing wrong here.
I doesn't seem practical to shoot a drop chart at every possible elevation combination that I might have (1000 ft for Alaska moose, 2500 ft for Arizona Deer, 5000 ft for Idaho deer, 6500 ft for Wyoming antelope and 8000 ft for elk, then compound that with various temperature combinations that I might experience. Even if I was able to do that my barrel would be ready to be replaced by the time I was finished.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Have you checked your optic for movement value? Are there terrain changes your shooting over or shooting at an angle?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"