Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need Help - Sticky Bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2003, 02:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need Help - Sticky Bolt

You are correct. If you indeed have their bushing FL die, it will do both at the same time, wish mine was that way. Sounds like that might be the die, Redding would know for sure.

In mine, the standard FL sizer happens to work perfect without the expander now that I turned the necks though. I found that out by accident after I did them. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I know some guys use the body die to bump back the shoulder after they've loaded them up and they don't chamber easily. Not what Redding suggests but, they do it... carefully. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I never have used WC872, just 870 in my brothers 338/378... no other experience with it. I don't use it because it's temp sensitive, and the temp swings up here...

They are not making 870 anymore now so that's another reason to use something else. I've had best luck with RL22 and RL25 in the bigger cases, not at all temp sensitive and great velocities too. Varget is the mainstay in the smaller ones....

My tests may not represent what you will get in your rifle with Retumbo or RL25... but I would try them both and see which did what. I met a guy at the range a while back, let him shoot his 7 Ultra over my 35P when I first got it. He was using RL25 and shooting some smokin fast loads. I don't shoot the 7 and wasn't familiar with the data but did come home and look it up to see [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] It was a 26" Rem and he was quite a bit over book MV, something like 200-300 fps, ya, it wasn't just a little either. I was impressed to say the least. It was shortly after that I aquired my 300 Ultra and got some RL25 for load development. I still need to try it in the 416wby, but it shoots so damn good with RL22 I don't really need to. I bet I could go from 2700 fps with a 400gr XLC to 2750-2800 easy. My dads 6.5wsm is most accurate with RL25 too, H1000 is close but just not quite as good.

Good luck, and let me know how you come out with the Retumbo.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:33 PM

Just wish to butt in with one side comment.
Back in "good old Magnum" days few of us used
.30 Norma Mag kind of wildcat (for its time).
This happen to a friend of mine that used to little of slow burning powder in load developement. The result was a "ring" in chamber due to detonation. After awhile all cases fired in that chamber would blimp into
the swelled chamber and extraction became a destraction to say the least. So working practical loads near 100% load density or switch to another with slightly different burn rate should be considered. Just $0.02
rjb
Old 06-03-2003, 11:21 PM
Gold Member

Could this be possibly due to seating the bullets to far into the lands?

Last year I regularly shot 93.5/94 GR of Retumbo behind a 162 AMAX, even in July in Texas.

Actually went to 95 GR Retumbo behind a 162 SST.

Didn't have any problems like this.

Only thing that changed was that I got a new barrel with a tight neck and short throat.

Maybe I should seat them a little deaper and try again?

Doug
Old 06-03-2003, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

Every barrel and chamber are different, the throat may be causing higher pressure but, you're likely getting more velocity if it is.

If you seat them deeper, pressure could run up higher on you.... start low and work up and you will be ok, I just think the lot of powder you have now is a bit faster, your seating depth is deeper... something is causing to much pressure where you're at now.

What speed were they going before, and now?
Old 06-07-2003, 11:37 PM

Try deeper bullet seating...according to some relaoding data, having bullets seated into the lands will increase pressure. Weatherby's theory of some "free bore" to reduce pressure.