Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: Where would you cut weight?
Poll Options
Where would you cut weight?

Need help on shaving some weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

Need help on shaving some weight

Asking for some advice here… Currently having a 7mm AM built that I would like to be a legitimate 1000 yard plus rig. However, this will also be a carrying rifle so weight is a concern. I’m trying to compromise a bit in order to ‘have my cake and eat it too’ so to speak. Putting the weights together for what I have planned (BAT HRPIC, Krieger 28” #6 fluted, McMillan A-5 with integral cheek piece, Leupold Mark 4 50mm scope) it looks like I’ll be around 14 lbs carrying weight with the rest of the components; bipod, ammo, etc. I want to be around 12. One way I could shave some weight would be to do the “Edge Fill” in the A-5, however I would then have to use an aftermarket cheek piece, and I’m afraid this will make the gun even more front heavy, which I really don’t like. Or I have kicked the idea around of keeping the A-5 the way it is, and using an ABS barrel (they claim the #6 contour at 28” would be a touch over 3 lbs). This would cut weight and help balance the rig also. These will both get me close to the weight I want. Heavier rifles are inherently more accurate, but does where you cut the weight affect accuracy? Where would you cut weight on this build? Or would you cut it at all? Thanks for any imput you may have.

Kevin
Old 03-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need help on shaving some weight

Kevin- It sounds to me like your components of choice are going to make the rifle 2# heavier than you want. That is of course if I'm reading correctly. If it were me (it's not, and I don't know how hard the additional 2# will be on you), I'd get the exact goodies that I was dreaming of and deal with the extra weight because that's what I (you) wanted.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Bronze Member

get a Eberlestock pack to carry it in. very comfortable and frees up your arms
Old 03-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
Kevin- It sounds to me like your components of choice are going to make the rifle 2# heavier than you want. That is of course if I'm reading correctly. If it were me (it's not, and I don't know how hard the additional 2# will be on you), I'd get the exact goodies that I was dreaming of and deal with the extra weight because that's what I (you) wanted.
jmason,
I'd still be happy with the ABS barrel. I've heard nothing but good things about them (except turnaround .) 12 lbs was what I wanted to keep it to, but if that 2 lbs is going to make a significant difference, then I may just have to put up with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF Shooter View Post
get a Eberlestock pack to carry it in. very comfortable and frees up your arms
AF,
I have a J107 and love it. The only problem is I use the scabbard for my tripod (it's a beast in itself). I was looking at the Kifaru gunbearer if the rig was too heavy to hand-carry. I like how it carries the gun in a position that lends itself to a quick shot if needed.

Thanks for the opinions guys - keep them coming.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've heard nothing but good things about them (except turnaround .)
Double check with Rock Creek as they have someone else doing carbon wrapped barrels, just another option. Cheaper & better turn around if I remember correctly. Keep in mind I have no first hand knowledge, its all hear say.

I'm sticking with "suck it up" if you want to save weight buy some lighter boots.

14 lbs isn't that bad. My rifle started life at 14 lbs and I managed to trim it down 2 lbs with a different stock and rings/base, in the end it meant precisely squat. You think I can tell the difference now.....no.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
McMillan A-5 with integral cheek piece,
You can drill out some of the aluminum of the cheekpiece. The bolts on the side that tighten up against the rods of the cheek piece weigh about six tons each. If you could thread some dielrin or aluminum properly you could shave some weight there.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure of any of what you want, just for the fact I can't afford it, but cutting weight is cutting weight.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!