Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

need help montana hunting trip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Bronze Member

Re: need help montana hunting trip

Where were you looking to hunt in MT? What class animals are you interested in?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 AM

Sorry, hopefully i won't hijack your thread.
I live in the UK and hopefully will try for a Montana elk in the next couple of years, been to MT twice before but for the fly fishing.
Can it be done 'self guided' in your opinion?
Assuming i get a tag one day, is the tag linked to a specific area in MT or can you go anywhere on public land?
Of course just like over here once the hunt is over the hard work begins, getting the animal back to a extraction point, so i guess i have sort of answered my own question in part, it will take at least 2 people.
I would bring my 30-06, bullet weight reqd?
It will be a trip of a lifetime for me, i hunt deer in the UK but having seen some of what MT has to offer in relation to wilderness and scenary in will be an unforgetable experience.
Any advice/help would be gratefully received.
Cheers
Richard
Old 08-24-2011, 07:37 AM

Calling F&G today going to work on the block managment program. Trying to find a piece of ground my cousins wife can get around she had a bad accident and lost one of her legs so we need to find easy acces for her she is tough. We might have a spot to hunt deer in ekalaka then might try the Judth gap area but eny and all help would be nice thanks guys.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

If you get down around the Dillon area PM me.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:33 AM
SPONSOR

KC 280ack, Ekalaka/Broadas is a much easier area, for the most part, to hunt for someone with limitations than the Judith area. Plus the wind literally never stops blowing in Judith Gap. I honestly do not know how anyone can stand living there.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

i live out of harlowton and there are some places on f/s and block management the a disable access only you can pm me and i can give you my #to call i also have a bad disablity and have had to deal with tring to hunt. rick
Old 08-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Gold Member

I've hunted block management for 3 years for deer/antelope, it has been very successful. Elk is a lot harder, but the general permit does give you access to some areas of public land. The Bob Marshall Wilderness, for example. Hard hunting, low odds, but a solid hunt.