Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need help making a .338 purchase decision.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 09:08 AM

Need help making a .338 purchase decision.

Hello to all of you,
I'm new to LRH as well as shooting and hunting long range. I've always wanted to get into it but never had the time. Now I do. I need some help choosing the right caliber and the best gun. I've done a ton of research, and it looks to me like the .338 is one of the best choices of caliber. The only concern I might have with the .338 is that it might travel past the target (while hunting) and hurt someone I may not even see. As far as the gun, I like the AI .338 LM and as second choice SAKO TRG-42. They both show incredible specs , but the AI seems even tighter and more rugged. How did you guys choose your weapons? Please give me some advice and tell me what you think. I really don't want to end up with a wrong gun. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

Re: Need help making a .338 purchase decision.

Any caliber you shoot has the potential to hit another object past the intended target. That's why you always make sure of your target and anything behind it. Check out Shawn Carlocks .338 Defensive Edge. He is a member of this site and it is a great caliber.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:15 AM

Shawn Carlock makes very nice guns. Thank you for the info. By the way, I'm very particular about safety while shooting or hunting. I've hunted mostly in the Midwest, where you are supposed to wear "hunter's orange" vest or at the very least a hat while hunting deer. Some hunters don't like to wear a lot of orange. They feel that it takes away from their camo. They will sit on the ground against a tree trunk, which makes it near impossible to spot them. In any case, it is very unlikely that I would hunt long range in the MIdwest for many reasons, the safety of it being primary. I would be traveling west to do so. I hope that over there I would get the open space to have practical uses for a gun like that. Thanks again for your response.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Safety aside, the two rifles you have chosen (AI, and TRG) are coveted rifles by the military for long range targets. Either would be a viable rifle in the 338 especially should you improve it. If you have the money for either, I would say go for it. Just double check the twist rate on the rifling. I believe the TRG is a 1:12 which means you can only shoot the 250grn bullets and lighter. If you want to shoot the 300grn bullets, then a 1:10 is the minimum.

On the other side, with the money either rifle costs, you could always have a custom rifle built especially for the price of the AI. This would afford you to build it with any action, barrel, stock combination you could think of. So take your time in your decision.

As far as hitting somebody accidentally, should there be an orange wear law and it is violated by the person you should hit accidentally (heaven forbid) it would not be your fault. You could not be prosecuted for following the law and being as careful as you can. Unfortunate things happen and you just have to exercise caution in all shooting situations both close and far. You can't see the victim because they are breaking the law, there is really not a whole lot you could have done to change that.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:14 PM

Tank,
Thanks for the reply. I have checked the twist on both and you are correct; the AI is 1 in 10, where SAKO is 1 in 12. This would lead me to believe that AI would be more practical. As to the custom jobs, I have no experience with them at all. AI promises .25MOA whereas other don't even bother listing theirs sometimes. I sort of like the military lines because they're built for all sorts of abuse. Not that I intend to abuse the gun, but I don't want one that is "pretty" but very delicate if you will. I'd like to actually hunt with it and not keep it in a glass case. I'm not making fun of custom guns, you understand. It's just that I've seen a few of them and they are so nice, that I would hesitate to take one out do do some rough terrain hunting. A lot of them have gorgeous wood stocks, but are heavier than the synthetics and more prone to damage.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

Bear, talk with Kirby Allen, of APS precision. His 338 AX is just the ticket built on his Raptor action. It is as tough as they come and you will be able to stock it with a rugged stock that you can make as tactical looking as you want. Just another good choice.

And just so you know, your choice of bullet makes a big difference in whether or how far a bullet passes through an animal. I really dont think that should be worry.
Good luck, God Bless and Merry Christmas.

Jim

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 12-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

Shawn Carlock or Kirby Allen 338 edge all that needs to be said