close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need Help With Grizzly Bear Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-22-2004, 08:35 PM

Re: Need Help With Grizzly Bear Question

Sorry guys. I should have checked it out before posting. I have been following this topic and when I got the email I just thought it fit. I am usually a little more carefull about checking these things out. Ian, the sensorship was needed, no apology necessary.
Harv

Unread 04-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

I am going September of 2005 But I need to be ready I like to shoot a rifle alot and for a long time before I take it into battle so to speak. That is why I am trying to plan a year in advance and also trying to find some areas to hunt before I get there. I like to be prepared. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Unread 04-22-2004, 11:33 PM

Dakor, my gunsmith told me about the push recoil thing. I personally don't know. I have not fired the 338 lapua yet. Biggest gun I fired to date is a friend's remington 300 RUM. Recoil has not bothered me yet.

At 12.5 lbs recoil should be 37-38 lbs.
I'll keep you posted.

By the way....I didn't see harv's post before it was removed. Was it that picture of the guy with no meat around his knee?
Unread 04-22-2004, 11:36 PM

Dakor, with your gun weighing 10 lbs with scope. The 375 H&H will kick like my 12.5lb Lapua. The 338WM will kick a lot closer to the 7 STW. Around 30-31 lbs depending on load.

When try out the 375, weigh it. Because if your is lighter it will kick more. Keep that in mind.
Unread 04-23-2004, 12:51 AM

Dakor, this is the gun the oldtimers used for very dangerous game at the bottom of this post... Notice the weight of the slugs and the velocity listed. It's still a sure killer of big, dangerous game, but the Sir Samuel Baker mentioned on the page liked even bigger bore guns than this example! Since you have a long time before you head to Alaska, you could read some of his exploits in America, shooting Griz in the Rockies, in Africa, India & Ceylon during the mid 19th Centrury - his books are online and FREE @ Gutenberg Project:
http://www.gutenberg.net/

My favorite is "Wild Beasts And Their Ways, Reminiscences Of Europe, Asia, Africa And America " He gets to hunt with some real Mountain Men while he's here in America. It's on this link below:
http://www.gutenberg.net/etext/3657

Albert N'Yanza, Great Basin Of The Nile, The
by Baker, Samuel White, Sir
Released: Jan 2003

Cyprus, As I Saw It In 1879

Eight Years' Wanderings In Ceylon
Released: Jan 2000

In The Heart Of Africa
Released: May 2002

Ismailia

Nile tributaries of Abyssinia, and the sword hunters of the Hamran arabs, The
Released: Mar 2000

Rifle And The Hound In Ceylon, The
Released: May 2002

Wild Beasts And Their Ways, Reminiscences Of Europe, Asia, Africa And America -- Volume 1

Good Luck! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Unread 04-23-2004, 06:46 AM

Dakor, I don't have a comparison pic of your 300 Mag with a .338 or .375, but maybe this comparison of the 308, 300 Win Mag, and a 338 Lapua Mag will give you an idea why some if not most feel that a bigger, heavier bullet would be better for Brown Bears in Alaska... Remember, if striking velocity is too high, you'll loose a lot of the bullet mass on entry. MOST rifle bullets work best in the range of 1900-2300fps at impact. IF you're fortunate (or unfortunate, depending how it turns out), to get a close shot at a GRIZ, you run the risk of a high speed bullet blowing up on the skin, muscle or bones of the bear. Start out with a heavier bullet and at least part of the bullet will penetrate and do the job that must be done...

Be sure to study the Ballistics Page @ Sabi Rifles website and understand about BIG HEAVY animals and weight retention of bullets. They have an excellent comparison of the 375 H&H you might find interesting - and they like the big 375 too!

SabiRifles Ballistics Page - See TERMINAL BALLISTICS CHART

GOOD LUCK! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Unread 04-23-2004, 08:42 AM

My deleted post was a story about some guy that shot a 14' grizzly that was a man eater. Some pictures of the bear and one of a partly eaten human. Turned out to be a made up story.