close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need Help With Grizzly Bear Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-21-2004, 08:05 PM

Re: Need Help With Grizzly Bear Question

If you like shooting the 375 then that would be better since you already have a sako in 300WM. If not the 338 win mag would do the job nicely.

Unread 04-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

Hey Dakor, I believe I'd jump on that deal

(In case anyone wants to know I called Savage and they will rebarrel my STW to a 375 H&H for 235 Bucks. That is a SS barrel with a 26 inch finish.) Heck yea , If I was going elk huntin' I always said I like a .375 H&H.

I know elk can be killed with smaller rifles but the nostalgia alone that comes with the .375 H&H.

Plus it would be just my luck that I'd see the world record elk walking dead away at 500 yards so I want a bullet that will have a good chance of reaching the vitals!

"The Chuckster"
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

"Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist...".

Romans 8:28

http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/huntinfool/
Unread 04-21-2004, 10:05 PM

Dakor, your Savage in .375 would be a great gun to have in Alaska IMHO. Just remember how fast a bear can move - over 20 yards per second. HOW FAST can you fire aimed shots at a moving target - heading right for you? Here's a link to more info on Grizzly Bear in Alaska, from maps & books to videos...
http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/pro...ar_attacks.htm

Unread 04-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Gold Member

John you have a Lapua? What is the recoil LBS in that? That 300 Sako I have weighing about 8.5 to 9 lbs depending if the Bipod is on has about 33lbs of recoil right now. So I would say anything under 40 lbs I should be able to handle just fine with a good pad. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Another thing I hear so many storys of a 375 H&H being better on the shoulder than a 338 Win because the 375 H&H is more of a push than hard kick. Can someone please help me out with this? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Also thanks Gowge for the links and everyone else thank you for the info we have a great bunch of people on this site!

[ 04-22-2004: Message edited by: dakor ]

Unread 04-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Harv,
That story you got told is PURE 100% BS!!

That guy in the pic with the Bear is Ted, works for the Air Force, shot it on Hinchenbrook Island and the bear was no where near that big, period. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
He also kept the bear.
It will not be in the airport.
It killed nobody.
It never charged him.
No where near the largest Bear in the world.

Bear squared somewhere around 10'2" if I remember right, a bit taller than that if it stood up is all. Still a big Bear though.
I have an email from a newspaper reporter up here, Peter Porko, who also had his facts quite mixed up. His article was also meant to clear up the BS stories getting out of hand concerning Ted's Bear, and he still had it way off. I think he said it was 11.5 ft. squared in the article. I'll post his email to me when I get home. I called him on it when I read it and he then contacted the taxidermist to get the details.

My garage has a 14 foot cieling, and that would be a record Bear indeed. Just siting here at my Dad's shop looking at the cieling, which is 12', THAT would be a giant Bear!
Unread 04-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Harv,
I took it upon myself to deleted the post and pictures, should probably have contacted you directly first but I believe you are a reasonable guy and will understand why I zapped it.

First, anyone can find it again in the internet legends type sites, the story has been dissected a bunch and always comes out as non-fact. I recently read a newspaper article about this exact internet legend - it just grew on itself with a bit of help from some people with wild imaginations or slightly perverted minds.

Second, I just do not believe that the police photo or whatever that image might be is appropriate to this site. So happens I have seen far more graphic images of bear attacks, I just do not feel that they are for public consumption. This is Long Range Hunting, I feel we should keep it to that topic.

Is this sensorship - I guess some might call my action that but I did it for the above reasons. No doubt that Harv felt he was contributing some info, but I'm afraid that particular info is not based on fact.

Harv, apologize for not discussing this by e-mail.
Unread 04-22-2004, 07:54 PM

Dakor,

When I lived in Alaska, I carried a 375 H & H. Weighed about 9 1/2 lbs with scope. One of my hunting buddies had a .338 that weighed about 8 3/4 lbs. In my opinion, the .375 is more of a push than the sharper kick of the .338. I have also had a 8 1/2 lb Sako .375. The .375 is not bad at all. I didn't really like the .338 off the bench.

When are you actually planning to go to Alaska?