Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need Help With Grizzly Bear Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2004, 07:31 PM

Re: Need Help With Grizzly Bear Question

Dakor, If you place the bullet well, I believe the 200 TXS will kill the bear. Remember the Barnes does retain almost all its weight and is a solid copper projectile with those sharp petals. It is THE deadliest bullet I've ever seen. Those petals cause a large would channel and they penetrate deep.

I would try to shoot inside of 200 yards unless he in a wide open area because I'd worry more about him running into thick stuff that you don't want to go into after him. You know the old story of the guy with the 300 RUM that goes elk hunting and shoots the animal several times because he can't hit the broad side of the barn. Then there is the other story of the guy that shoots confidently with his 308 or 30-06 and takes the elk with no problem. There is no substitute for a well placed shot. I'm not preaching to you, I'm just agreeing with what I know your feeling.

One more thing, I mentioned that I would try to shoot within 200 yards, I would also try not to get closer that 100 yards. You'll need some time if he comes after you.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

My brother in law will be packing a 300 also or a shot gun with slugs I will also have a 41 mag on my hip. My plan was if I see a bear I want to try shoot him from a spot that is hidden so if he doesnt go down at least he wont know where it is comming from. I talked to my dad tonight sounds like he is picking up a 375 H&H from a guy he knows he said I could Borrow it and practice with it and take it to Alaska if I wanted to. I will have to pick up some Barnes 235 Grain XLC's and see how I like it but I am going to take the gun I shoot the best out of the two. Thanks everyone for the information. On a side note if you are going to shoot a 460 Rigby you might as well take a 50 BMG it hits harder and probably kicks less [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Bear jumped back to his feet and took off again. We both shot him again and he stayed down. Autopsy showed 2 from the 30-06 right behind the shoulder and 2 from the .375 in the shoulder. NEVER underestimate these bears ability to take a hit and keep going. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My buddy Bob hit his 10" BB 7 times as it came toward him from about 150 yards away where he finally died about 20 yards away from a spine shot entering just under the chin. Bob shot him 7 times with his 375 H&H and ran out of ammo on his last shot, with no back up. My brother was on a hill 1/4 mile off watching through a spotting scope as he wend down through the drainage trying to get sight of his Bear that was eating down there. Bob's first shot was a perfect broadside shot through "both" front shoulders, breaking them BOTH. The Bear got up, turned toward wher ethe shot came from and began running to it like he'd never been hit! Underestimate these suckers and you're in for a big surprise... Bob proceded to shoot him again and again as he came on him fast, thankfully he dropped with almost every shot. When he ran out of ammo in the mag, he began chambering them from his pocket one at a time until he felt for his last round. Derrick, my brother said, Bob just stopped shooting all of a sudden as the Bear got up and was fast closing the last bit of ground on him, Bob just got down on one knew and waited like a freak with a death wish as Derrick thought he ran out of ammo. Finally he saw the Bear go lifeless on his face and then heard the boom.

They said they had to gut and quater one side of the Bear because they couldn't roll the bear over to get the hide off of him, as both front legs were broke and they simply had no leverage on the huge Bear in the hole he was kind a laying down in.

As you can see, Bears don't always stop running when even both front legs are broke, and will often drag their rear end faster than you could ever think of running with their front legs if shot in the spine farther back, and they will circle in the brush then lie in wait for you too! They're SMART!

My brothers Bear took 4 from the 338 WM, and 3 from the 375 H&H before it stayed down for good, it did not run toward them but away.

Section density don't mean much when you already have enough to go one side through to the other, but I understand where you're coming from on it. Bullet diameter has much more effect than most people realize until they see it for themself. 40 caliber on up is where it really becomes quite noticable.

In the 338's we use 250gr Barnes X bullets, and I'd use them in the 300's as well, but I don't go after Grizz with my 30's.

I would shoot one with my 300 Ultra, or a 300 WM, but I would have to be totally comfortable with the situation first, just not my choice for big Bear is all.

I like John's last statement a lot.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> One more thing, I mentioned that I would try to shoot within 200 yards, I would also try not to get closer that 100 yards. You'll need some time if he comes after you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 454 Casull for back up, but I hope to never have to use the little thing.

00 Buck on Bear, I'd use slugs unless you just want to tear some hide off it's face. I know people load it, but I wouldn't trust it on anything but Black Bear or home intruders.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:42 PM

Dakor, Brent has a lot more experience that me and I respect his opinion a lot. I agree, definitely use the barnes in your win mag and I'd use slugs instead of 00 buckshot. If you have a rifled barrel shotgun try "lightfield commander" impact discarding sabots (IDS). Trust me on this, I hunt deer in a shotgun only area.
If you don't have a rifled barreled shotgun then don't bother with sabots because they won't shoot..use regular slugs. Me personally, I'd like a handgun as well and I also load that with barnes bullets.

A side note about handguns...put in earplugs....they kill my ears worse than any muzzle brake ever will.

I forgot which show, but I saw a woman bowhunt a grizz from 30 yards in Alaska. To quote the comedian Andrew Dice Clay "For a chick, you got some set of balls!"

There is also a great video on this forum where a guy shoots a lion and the lion charges him and they keep missing. The lion knocks the guy down and runs away as the guide finished him off.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Bronze Member

Hello Dakor, I to am wondering why the 338 is supose to be harder hitting? I was trying to decide between the 300rum & 338rum but noticed I could get flatter trajectories as well as more muzzle energy. Also I read an article in a bow hunting magazine that said as a back-up gun alot of people were using big calibur handguns but the best thing was a shotgun with oobuck shot because in case of an emergency it could take half of a bears head off.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Bronze Member

oobuck just taking off some hide, taking multiple hits from a 338 & 375, I wanted to do a moose hunt but I'm starting to get a realization of what I could be up against running ariund in bear country. So do you think my 450 Marlin would be safer or should something bigger be used?(50cal)smile.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Gold Member

John you have it right " They kept Missing" I saw that video and if someone would have hit him he wouldnt have made it that close. I believe that is were knowing your rifle and being able to shoot it well comes into play. The guy also made a bad shot the first time he hit him. I don't shoot real big canons as well as my smaller ones. If that was me with a lion charging give me my 7MM STW with a 160 Barnes TSX any day over a 416 at least I know I could hit him I dont think I could with the 416. As for a Brown Bear taking 7 shots to kill. I am wondering did you see the hide of the bear? and was there 7 holes in it or was it one of those deals were somebody got scared (wich I dont blame them one bit) and missed a few times and connected on a few? Also I can believe a bear charged on one busted shoulder but it is not going anywhere with two shoulders that are broke no animal is plain and simple I have seen deer with two busted front shoulders push them selves along on their face and black bears roll around but they didnt go very far. I would say that he broke one of shoulders on the last shot that killed the bear its not like they had time to say I am going to shoot him 3 inches under his right eye on shot # 8. They were shooting at center mass and they cannot honestly tell you where they hit after the charge began. I am not trying to be an ***** I just have hunted long enough to know you dont have time to think you react.

[ 04-15-2004: Message edited by: dakor ]