close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need Help With Grizzly Bear Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-27-2004, 07:41 PM

Re: Need Help With Grizzly Bear Question

Brent, I wasn't saying that smaller calibers are ok. Just saying that you don't need a 570 with a 650gr bullet.

Also, Dakor will be shooting from 200 yards. (we hope!)

I'd use my 458 Lott. Not that I have a 458 lott but I need an excuse to build one.

I actually like what ric (formerly known as Wyo Wisper)said he'd use, the 338 Lapua.....I got one of those.

Unread 04-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

John,

Wasn't directed at what you had said. I'm not even interested in anything larger than .50 cal, although 577 would get the job done I'm sure.

I just think once you add stopping power to good killing power you have a cartridge with total ability on big Bear and such, something you may need.

Last winter, Tim, the guy that's hunting the Grizz up river right now, the one we are after too, he shot one last winter while walking back home after their rig broke down up there. It was just about dark and the Grizz came onto the trail 50' in front of them and charged. Tim shot with his 7 mag and the Bear turned into the brush. He turned around to see Joey had dropped his rifle and flew up a tree behind him! They turned it in to F&G but F&G never could find the Bear either. Later this winter Tim found the carcass near his trap line about 1/2 mile off. There was only a spot of blood in a couple places off into the bush, said they simply could not track him with what little it left behind.

Believe it or not, if you've ever hunted Moose, they can really soak up a hit and just run too, they are tough critters sometimes.
Unread 04-27-2004, 10:52 PM

Brent, what do you think of a .458 Lott build on a pre-64 winchester action. a 22" Douglas barrel with and a McMillian Stock. Jewell Trigger Too.
Unread 04-27-2004, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

All I'd ever need, plus some, that's what I think. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You might even be able to pass that of as a shotgun in your area, just carry some 20ga slugs with you and show them the hole in the bore! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Unread 04-28-2004, 12:59 AM

Thats my next project....just a matter of when!
Unread 04-28-2004, 05:56 AM
Platinum Member

Love to have one myself, but this 416 will do me for a while. You know Ruger makes their Magnum rifle in 458 Lott now, not just on the #1. My Ruger is pretty damn nice for the money. It has an integral quater rib($$$$), 3 blade express sights, barrel band swivel and front sight, integral dovetail base, positive feed, 3 position safety, 3+1 capacity in the 416 WBY (I think Weatherby is only 2+1), nice finish, nice wood, crossbolted and feed smooth. It's nice to shoot too, although the butt pad is too thin and LOP was too short for me.

I see they keep going up in price every year though. Mine was about $1200 in 2000, I think they're over $1450 now though. Still, worth every penny.
Unread 04-28-2004, 07:39 AM

Brent, I dont really need the thing. If I buy it the thrill ends too fast. If I build it I can entertain myself more.