Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need Help With Grizzly Bear Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2004, 08:37 AM
Gold Member

Need Help With Grizzly Bear Question

I am planing a trip to Alaska for Grizzly next fall and my brother in law is going to be my guide [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Anyway I think I am going to use a 300 win mag with 220 grain Partitions or 200 grain Barnes TSX bullets. I know alot of people suggest a 338 with a 225 but A 300 with a 220 shoots just as fast so I am wondering if anyone around here has shot big bears and thinks this will work or if the 200 TSX would be a good choice as well? Or do I need to plan on getting a bigger gun?
Old 04-12-2004, 09:46 AM

Re: Need Help With Grizzly Bear Question

You might try posting over at accurate reloading.
They have a great many posters on African game and also Alaskan hunting.
Probably be able to find some folks there with the experience you are looking for.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Bronze Member

I have a fair bit of experience hunting big bears both on Vancouver Island and Coastal BC. These types of bears will take an unbelievable amount of punishment and still keep moving. I've seen Grizzly shot with a 458 win mag, lose half their heart and a lung and make 100 yds in bush too thick to walk in. I've also seen one drop in it's tracks when shot with a .58 cal Muzzleloader! What it all boils down to is shot placement just like any other game. Get a well placed shot in the spine almost any big game caliber will do. Where the big bores come in is stopping a charge.Then you need big tough bullets to break them up or they'll just keep coming. I'd go with the heaviest toughest bullets you can find if your set on using your 300 Win. Personally, if it was me, I'd go with at least the 338 if not a 375 H&H or the Rem Ultra. You won't be sorry you did. Bears will go into a Hibernation mode when severly stressed which slows their heart down to a just a few beats a minute. It can take a looooooong time to get them to bleed out to the point of unconsiousness. Even if the big "charge" never happens the last thing you really want to do is have to track one in thick bush, unless your more of an adrenaline junkie then me. Just my opinion here! Good luck with your hunt with whatever you settle on!
Old 04-12-2004, 12:27 PM

Dakor, Ive never hunted big bears so I don't want any responsibility....but heres my opinion.

What ever gun you hunt with use the partitions or the barnes or something deadly like that.....and wait for a good shot.
I would try to at least break a shoulder.

Shot placement is always key especially in close up situations where you don't want to piss him off! I would rather place a good shot with your 300 Win Mag and a 200 grain TXS than a poor shot with a 458 Lott and a bullet twice the size.

The barnes is the deadliest bullet I've ever used. I have never used the partitions but I've heard a lot of good things about their terminal performance. The Barnes has dropped animals in their tracks for me but the accuracy has suffered and if your gun doesn't like them try the partitions. Many guns do not like the barnes!

Good Luck and stay safe!

And by the way......BRING EXTRA BULLETS!

[ 04-12-2004: Message edited by: John M. ]
Old 04-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the help and John if you like Barnes Bullets you have to try the TSX line very Accurate and about 100 to a 150 fps faster. In my 7mm STW I used the 140 XBT the best I could get was 3412 fps and a 1 1/4 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards. With the 140 Barnes TSX I am getting 3613 fps with .294 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

My uncle guided for grizzly for about 50 years and carried a 30-06, it is as others have suggested a matter of shot placement. Most people in these parts prefer to go for a spine shot below the hump first and take what ever shots they can get after that. Good luck! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2004, 02:01 PM

Dakor, I also shot the 140 XLC in my 7mm STW. Terrible! I switched to the Cauterucio 156 and now shoot .5 or better. I Love the cauterucio but I would not shoot a grizz with them. Maybe a black bear.

I never tried the TXS because I figured it would be as bad as the XLC....Then I heard good things about them, but by then I already had the cauterucio's. Besides with the .615 BC they serve me well.

Since you're shooting the 200 TSX that well. Definitely use it for the grizz! Those barnes are killers!

Take Care!