Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need help finding a muzzle brake for sons 7WSM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

Need help finding a muzzle brake for sons 7WSM

I see lots of talk on here about muzzle brakes so i apologize for yet another topic. I really wanted to get him a brake for his rifle this Christmas. It is a Savage Weather Warrior with of course, a SS Bbl. in the 7WSM. He is just a little feller and I am doing reduced loads for him now but he has proved he is ready for the Elk hunt so it is time to step up. I just dont want to see him develop a flinch from the much more powerful loads. What I am looking for is someone that could do a brake for me that wont drain the bank. I don't want shotty work of course but fact is, my daughter had her appendix burst 2 weeks ago so our Christmas budget got severely depleted. So I come here to ask if anyone has any suggestions?

On another note my daughter is doing great. Scary road but we really got the best gift we could have ever wanted and that's her getting the best treatment and having a seamless and fast recovery.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: Need help finding a muzzle brake for sons 7WSM

Not sure what you're wanting to spend but defensive edge is reasonable and there brakes are unbelievably effective. I have shot a 7 short mag with 1 of these brakes and the recoil was svery very mild. Defensive edge. 208 687 2659
Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Gold Member

I use a holland QD on my 7wsm handgun with a riflescope, I have a muscle break on another pistol and it is nice also. I am a huge fan of the side port breaks
Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Send the barrel to Ross Schuler. His brakes are the best for the $$.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Gold Member

I am just having Holland brakes install on two rifles and get to pick them up tomorrow. I was searching the web for brakes and I came across this new style that had an outer sleave to shut the ports for hunting. I was thinking what a novel idea. I used to hunt taking head phones along for the noise that my 30-378 would make because of the brake directing painful noise right back at you.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:37 AM
Platinum Member

Call Ross and see if he has time. If not get your local gunsmit to install one of these.

They are great and very reasonably priced.
VARMINT BRAKE - Brownells
Old 12-08-2011, 07:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Call Ross and see if he has time. If not get your local gunsmit to install one of these.

They are great and very reasonably priced.
VARMINT BRAKE - Brownells
Do you actually have one of these Brownells? Right off the bat I would give them a "D" rating for being effective. They have no top ports to reduce jump and the 7* degree forward angle of the ports is designed with sound in mind not recoil reduction.

Last edited by budlight; 12-09-2011 at 08:11 AM.