Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need Help Deciding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Bronze Member

Need Help Deciding

I've been looking for a new rifle for a while and have narrowed my my choices down to three. Being that I'm left handed and wanted something in stainless for a trip to Alaska the choices become limited. In what order would you put these choices. Lefties are always short changed.

1) Remington 700 in 300 WIN; SS with a composite stock ($850) on line. Took a while to find one since there aren't many left handed stainless left hand 700s out there.

2) Ruger MKII in 300 WIN; SS with laminate stock ($575).

3) Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in 300 WBY ($1650).

Now price is a factor, but not the decision maker. The price of the Ruger puts it in the running. From the looks of it is seems to fairly well made. The Weatherby is light, which makes it nice for backpack hunts and long stalks, but its pricey. And the Remington 700 has a reputation and ofers lots of options as far as customizing it later, but they are very hard to find. The price of the one I found it high for a stock 700 and the only one in 300 WIN I was able to find.

Looking for some help deciding. Most of my hunting is a resonable ranges for whitetail. I'll be toting it to AK for moose and bear. And then on elk and sheep hunts in the future.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

Re: Need Help Deciding

take it for what it's worth, but I would go with the 700. I have a ruger m77mkII and it's decent, but would not buy another. My buddy has a weatherby and his is a shooter, but you do pay more for it.

The reason I would go with the 700 is that it is so upgradable. There are tons of aftermarket accesories, and also a lot of great gunsmiths that recommend the 700.

don't think you'll regret the 700.

either way, good luck and have fun in AK!!
Old 03-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Bronze Member

Lovdasnow,
Why wouldn't you buy another Ruger???

I just double checked with the listing for the Remington 700, and its not a 300 WIN like I was told, but a 338. Great round for AL, but rather limited for everything else I plan to chase. Looks like I might have to take that one off the list. I just can't find a model 700 in 300 WIN and SS. Being a lefty SUCKS!!! If I had more time I would just have a custom rifle built and get it over with. But I'll never make building a rifle before this hunt, so I'm stick buying one off the shelf. Looks like its between the Ruger and the Weatherby unlessI can find a Remington. I would go with the Remington if I could find one, but no luck yet.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Lefties are always short changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ain't that the truth. I have decided that the only way to get what I really want is to buy the cheapest Rem 700, Win 70, or Savage lefty action that I can find, then send it off to either Kirby, Shawn or Chris and have them build it right, and get a good stock. Sure it will cost a little more than a factory rifle, but having what I want (not what the factory decides I need) is SO worth it and probably would cost as much or less than the Weatherby that you are looking at.

Since time is a factor, have you looked at Savage Rifles - I think they have a better selection of lefty rifles than anyone else.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Bronze Member

How about this lefty?
http://www.savagearms.com/116flss.htm

deerkiller
Old 03-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

Frankie_2_Times...to answer your question... I just have had a hard time getting the ruger to shoot very good at all. I'm just starting to get a handload to show some promise, but nothing really great yet. But, I have seen them shoot really good though, but that was just my opinion as far as leaning toward the Remington's.

Are you sure you couldn't buy a cheap lefty, and get it worked over? Is your hunt next fall? I think you would have time...Maybe Kirby will chime in here and let you know.

Ruger's are well made, I just got one that won't shoot very well, and smiths don't like to work on rugers as much as the 700's.

you could just get the 338... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] bigger is better right... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2006, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

What's wrong with the savage shown above? (May not have the 'cool' factor but it will do the job.

Also what's wrong w/the 338 Win. It'll span the game you have listed. I wouldn't feel bad about taking coyotes and chucks with it.