Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

need help deciding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 11:07 PM
SPONSOR

Re: need help deciding

If you can get gunwriter Ian McMurchy who frequents this site to comment, I imagine he would give the Stealth the nod. He's tested a bunch of them and to the best of my knowledge they have all been very accurate. I don't think he's come across a lemon in the bunch yet. He also likes 700's, but I'm thinking he's slightly more fond of the Stealth. I am a 700 slut so to speak, but he has me looking seriously hard at buying a Stealth.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:50 PM

well i also am a 700 slut, and the question wouldnt even arise if remington was intelligent enough to make a synthetic thumbhole stock.now i was wondering if i changed the stock to a tactical thumbhole from HS, would i have to get it rebedded or could i use the bed in the sendero.
And i heard about Jewel triggers,what are they exactly?
Old 10-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

For what it's worth, I've had a couple of Jewel triggers, a Timney, and am currently using a tuned Remington trigger in a custom .300. This trigger breaks just as crisp and clean at 2# as any of the others, as far as I can tell, and it didn't cost $200.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

warpshooter,
either the Win 70 stealth or the 700Rem is
fine but as far as trigger's the Timney is a
down grade on a rem 700 from a stock tuned
trigger,a Rifle basix,Shilen ,or a jewell
on a win.action the Timney is an up grade
as is the Jewell, the stock Win trigger is
barely passable if highly tuned.
B
Old 10-14-2004, 08:35 PM

if the 700 trigger is anything like my dads 7600's trigger, i dont want anything to do with it.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Everyone to their own opinions. I would go with the Stealth if you can still find one, or the new and improved Stealth ll. Have a bunch of reasons but most of these guys do not care about them because they are card carrying members of the Remington cult. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Shoot a thousand rounds through a Remington 700 VS and a Stealth, you will find some subtle little things about both - I do things like that and will take a 70 anyday. Push feed or CRF, particularly the pushfeed. Accuracy is about equal - sub 0.5" for 5 shots at 100 yards if you get them skim-bedded, triggers tuned and stock bolts torqued evenly. Plus assuming the individual can shoot that well. Have seen more Rem. stinkers than Wins. When you get lucky and get a good Rem. they are very good. Suspect on the average out of the box - the Stealths (12) have outshot the VLS/VS's (8).
They are both great actions and rifles, but... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
One of the best things (in my opinion) is the M-70 trigger when someone who knows what they are doing sets them up. Don't get no simpler, more reliable or nicer to shoot. They are trustworthy - period. Rems can be, if the right guy works them over ( GA Precision for instance, no doubt lots of other good gunmagicians) but they are more complicated and too many springs and little screws that do important things. Will not get into safeties - there just ain't no comparing that.

I have gone through this one before. Have about an equal number of each brand, lots of different models, lots of mileage, enjoy shooting them all.

Bottom line, buy something, don't matter if its a Red Box or a Green Box or a Savage, Sako, Tikka, Ruger, Weatherby, Cooper, Kimber, CZ or whatever - and have fun. Good luck with your decision and your new rifle.