Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need Help

Are you saying that the info in the beginning of this thread is actual MOA you needed to hit zero at those listed distances?

What scope and turrent system?
Old 04-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Bronze Member

MMERSS
My adjusted for velocity for 800 yards is 2495 FPS
adjusted velocity to hit 20 MOA at 700 yards is 2535 FPS
Thank you for helping me try to get through this.

BrentM
That is MOA that I have shot and hit zero with these #'s of MOA.
I have a Vortex with 1/2 MOA per click turrent.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

OK. Well I ran your original numbers and I get a result like this:

400 6.3
800 25

To get 27 MOA @ 800 you need 2465 fps. To get 5.5 @ 400 you need 2715 fps.

On the computer that says your bullet is slowing down/decreasing at an increasing rate that is not normal. Not only is not normal I think it is impossible. I know, bold statement, but physics is usually pretty honest.

So I am leaning toward 2 things.
- Scope turrent is not tracking perfectly vertically.
- shooter eye alignment with scope bore is changing vertically.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Bronze Member

BrentM
Thanks for your honesty I'm a big boy and I don't take your boldness the wrong way I welcome your honesty. I now have something I can try to correct this problem I have. I will check my trcking on my scope to see if that is the problem, I pay attention to my eye alignment when shooting not to say that is not the problem but will sure try these suggestions. Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

I can tell you it takes very little mis-alignment to be off 1 MOA at 400 and 2 MOA at 800.

I see it more with prone shooting then BR though. Also, I see it with elevated targets relative to the shooting platform. All of those things tend to tilt your forehead forward and down. This changes your alignment a little which pushes the reticle vertically. I bet if you close your eye's and line up behind the scope, open them, note target alignment, then tilt your forehead forward and down a little you will see the shift in reticle to target alignment.

This may not be happening to you at all, but it does help explain the impact points. BTW- when I shoot my bow at 20 vs 80 my site picture changes a little due to my head positioning. I have mostly corrected this issue but with fixed sights it is not as big a deal. Similar to the bow the rifle has to change position to fling lead long distance. It changes the rifle to shooter position even if it is subtle.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Bronze Member

BrentM
Rookie mistake on my part but I am having the same issue with my other rifle also but not in as great of a distance apart and I have mounted both of these scopes without a level, I am excited about leveling them and trying again. At least I have a direction I was getting very fustrated and shooting a bunch of bullets which is not a bad thing. Thanks again and I will let you know how thing come out in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lougonl View Post
MMERSS
adjusted velocity to hit 20 MOA at 700 yards is 2535 FPS
Ok, great. Can you post the MOA differences using the 700 velocity data for 400, 500, 600 and 800 yards?