Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need expert advice on my Long range Gun build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 04:30 AM

Need expert advice on my Long range Gun build

Hello everyone. I am new to long range shooting but a recent trip to wyoming to hunt some speed goats really got me excited about long range shooting. I plan on using a savage 110 receiver. Im going with krieger barrel in 7mm wsm. I think the long action will give me more leeway in head spacing my bullets and still be able to use the magwell for cycle and feeding the weapon. As of now I plan on using the choate sniper stock. I plan on having sharpshootersupply do all the work. Ive done a lot of research and they seem to get good reviews and are a savage action only company. Let me know what you think and any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. This is my first post on this website so don't bash my savage action please. I went with them because of their floating bolt head design. I know remington 700 is the most popular action but I believe savage is catching up. I just want to make sure im headed in the right direction. I do reload so ammo isn't a issue. Thanks for your time.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:22 AM
Gold Member

Re: Need expert advice on my Long range Gun build

First off welcome to LRH.
There is nothing wrong with a savage rifles. I have a safe full of them and every one shoots great.
SSS will do a good job for you and Fred and his wife or very nice people. but working on a savage is very easy and most any one can do the work themselves. if you have just a little mechanical skills you can do it and they will shoot great. plus you save a lot of money all u need is a barrel wrench cost 30.00 and a vice. for the most part. For as parts go the 110 should work fine but do your self favor and run away from the choate sniper stock it has to the worst stocks i have ever had. There is alot of stocks out there that r way better for around the same money. Stockade makes a nice stock for the money. as well as the bell and Carlson's Duramax. you may want to check out savage shooters .com if you haven't already.
good luck and lets know how it come out
Old 12-17-2010, 05:38 AM

See that is the kind of advice i was looking for!! Thanks a lot for your input. Yes I have been on savage shooter it a great web site. I will look into the other stocks and scrap the ideal of the choate stock. I know they are easy to work on im just a little nervous about head spacing. I do have mechanical skills. I still need them to time and true the action and thread and chamber my barrel. I know i can't thread and chamber. I pretty sure i can't time and true unless someone has a step by step for me. Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:57 AM

On a Savage, the only thing that timing does is make the bolt lift a little bit easier. It is really just a little bit too. As far as truing, The savage has a floating bolt head which you already know. What this does is help keep every thing straight and in line. It pretty much makes up that thou that truing would remove. Some barrel companys make pre threaded and chambered barrels for savage rifles so as the previous post says with a few small tools, a set of headspace guages, and a little know how The barrled action can be put together at home. With a good bedding job in a top quality stock you will have a rifle that will outshoot what most guys are capable of for the cost of material and small tools.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Bronze Member

As others have mentionned, why not just installl a pre-fit match barrel in the caliber of your choice. You wont be able to get a pre-fit Krieger but you can get pre-fits in: Brux, Shilen, Broughton, Douglas, PacNor, McGowen, Benchmark and possibly others. These pre-fits are a lot cheaper than a custom chambered Krieger and, for hunting purposes, every bit as good.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Fred Moro has timed actions normally ready to go at a very good price. Remember, the WSM takes a large shank action

plus he has pre chambered barrels already so I would see if he has the 7 WSM

If not, I would think Pac Nor would be your next best option.

Nothing wrong with his stocks either and Stockys now has fully inletted, clear coated stocks in the Bobby Hart LR model for the savages for under $300 ready to go.

BH
Old 12-18-2010, 07:28 PM

Thank you 7MilMauser and your probably right about the barrel Moosetracker. As I am still in the planing stages the more I read the more my mind changes. I am verey interested in doing as much as I can on my own. I think you get more satifaction with the finish product when you can do some if not all the work yourself. What out of the barrels listed would you guys consider the best prefit barrels? Thanks for your guys help and knowledge.