Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

need advice on setting up rifle for prone 1k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Gold Member

need advice on setting up rifle for prone 1k

Hi;
I've been invited to a 1k yard shooting match this coming summer .
I plan on using my Ruger Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor. It is my hunting rifle and I don't have large amounts of money to put into building a target rifle. So far the rifle seems to be a 1/2" @ 100yard shooter. The stock is the factory synthetic. I have been thinking of putting a Stocky's laminate thumbhole on but I don't know how well it will work for shooting with a sling from prone. Aparantly bipods , rests are not allowed at this match ..
Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: need advice on setting up rifle for prone 1k

Go to this website for that info on NRA prone, LR and Palma shooters.

Sign In - Long-Range Target Shooting?&

Second, I would not waste my money trying to take a stock Hawkeye into a NRA LR prone/palma gun. No stocks are available and a custom one will cost you more than a complete used rifle.

Buy a savage palma gun for $1000 or watch the website above for good used prone/palma guns. Plus you will need a prone sling, gloves, cheap coat etc, which are often for sale there

www.savageshooters.com is the website for savage rifles and parts.

I would post a wanted ad there for an entry level prone/palma rifle also.

Sinclair international and Creedmoor sports have great websites and catalogs.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
Hi;
I've been invited to a 1k yard shooting match this coming summer .
I plan on using my Ruger Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor. It is my hunting rifle and I don't have large amounts of money to put into building a target rifle. So far the rifle seems to be a 1/2" @ 100yard shooter. The stock is the factory synthetic. I have been thinking of putting a Stocky's laminate thumbhole on but I don't know how well it will work for shooting with a sling from prone. Aparantly bipods , rests are not allowed at this match ..
Any advice will be appreciated.
You're doing awfully well with what you have.

Is this an NRA match or just good ole boys getting together for a fun shoot?

IF the former you are going to have to shell out a great deal of money to meet the qualifications and standards much less to begin to be competitive.

If the latter I wouldn't change a thing other than getting a good wide stance bipod and good set of rear bags.

If you can consistently shoot 1/2MOA you really need little more than a good ballistics calculator and hand held weather meter and lots as much practice actually shooting at 1K to put on a credible showing.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:13 AM
Gold Member

Ya. I just want to use my rifle. I'm not expecting to win or any thing. But I want to shoot the rifle in the match.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:50 AM
Gold Member

I don't think it's an NRA match. Aparantly it's any caliber but no bipod or rest . Sling only. Shooting jackets and matts are allowed. 1,000 yards. What scope under 500$ would you recomend ?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
I don't think it's an NRA match. Aparantly it's any caliber but no bipod or rest . Sling only. Shooting jackets and matts are allowed. 1,000 yards. What scope under 500$ would you recomend ?
Under 500.00 is a short list. You need I'd say something with a minimum 14x magnification and very high quality glass.

That being the case Look for a good Vortex viper 3.5-15, Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14, or leupold VXIII in the 4.5-14 range.

Watch the classified sections here, Sniper's Hide, and of course keep an eye out on Ebay. Right after Christmas there are usually some good deals because people will be looking to sell things to pay off their overspending on Christmas or to sell their old scopes which got "upgraded" at Christmas.

Long Range on a limited budget can be done but it is tougher.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Gold Member

OK, thanks. If I was young and had good eyes I would probably be a lot more inclined to really spend the $$ to compete. But I'm just an Alaskan Timber Beast that wants to learn how to stretch his range for wolf hunting. Since I wouldn't take any of these non CRF rifles on a wolf expedition, I don't want to waste time and money on them.
The Vortex seems to be real good as it's built tough and has an etched reticule.
It looks like Richards Microfit. Has a laminated stock that should work well. Any idea what the cross section of the foreend of a prone stock is?

I like the reticule in the Zeiss Conquest. But Zeiss Scopes have a reputation for being fragile up here.
Thats the reason I would like a NightForce scope. They are function tested at 80 below.