Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need Advice from Seasoned Shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 07:35 AM

Re: Need Advice from Seasoned Shooters

Wow I did not think I would get so much great advice so quickly. I know I am sort of putting the cart before the horse here but I am a gun nut and have been all my life. I live REALLY close to the Butner base here in NC and I really want to do some of their 1K competition shoots but the gun HAS to be functional as a hunting rig first so that is what I am focusing on. I want to try and keep the budget between 3k and 4k but I think that is going to depend a lot on the glass. I do have a reloader and have done some loading in the past (the wife does not want this set-up in our house) so I would just need components for that aspect of it. I am VERY famililar with Savage and love their equipment so I am excited to hear I have that as an option. I am not looking ot jump into things without doing the proper research (I am an Engineer by trade) so keep the advice coming and Thanks guys.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

If your budget is 3-4k, then I would seriously consider the 110 BA, and a Night Force 5.5-22x50. The rifle already comes with a base and a very sturdy stock. The stock is also fully adjustable. Other scopes to consdier would be the Leupy MKIV.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

I would watch the classifieds on this site, there are some great customs that come up, with out the wait and save you some coin.