Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Need advice on a new stalking rig!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need advice on a new stalking rig!

Hey VB...I haven't put it on a scale, but my rig I just had built weighs under 10 lbs. scope and all. The Kahles Helia scopes are VERY lightweight, and so is that DNZ aluminum mount. I recommend both for a lightweight rig.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Hey VB...I haven't put it on a scale, but my rig I just had built weighs under 10 lbs. scope and all. The Kahles Helia scopes are VERY lightweight, and so is that DNZ aluminum mount. I recommend both for a lightweight rig.
Hey MD...You're the man with the (golden) gun! Your gun is great and the Kahles (belongs to the Swaro- group) is also top of the notch. Since I know about the data of your gun I'd choose your's, honestly.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
Hey MD...You're the man with the (golden) gun! Your gun is great and the Kahles (belongs to the Swaro- group) is also top of the notch. Since I know about the data of your gun I'd choose your's, honestly.
I don't know about all that stuff now...The barrel ain't quite settled into a groove yet. Soon she will. I still have some load develpment to finalize, but I did have 2 good groups once it settled in the other day. Had a 3-shot group with Accubonds that was around 1/2" at 100 yards. After it kicked the first 2 shots, shots 3-5 were in a nice little 1/2" group in the bull.

But I did find another node that is shooting the Berger 168 VLD's very good on cold-bore 3-shot groups, which is where it counts when hunting.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the info everyone.
Couple of answers to some of your questions:
1. I do not hand-load my own ammo (I would buy top end nosler/berger though)
2. I want a gun to shoot a 1" or less grouping
3. If i get good at shooting I would love a gun that extend its range with me. going from 600 max to 800 and beyond.

My new questions:
1. I am interested in both the Forbes rifles and the NULA rifles. Both are bedded all the way without free floating the barrel. Isn't free floating better for accuracy? My issue with the Forbes currently is that they dont produce magnums yet.
2. Whats the difference between Sako and Tikka. I know they are made in the same factory but are they different components/actions?
3. I have seen a lot of great looking 700's, what are their capabilities. Have they fixed the mysterious firing issue yet? I, like most folks, saw the 60 minutes special but haven't seen much follow up.

You all are awesome for helping.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I don't know about all that stuff now...The barrel ain't quite settled into a groove yet. Soon she will. I still have some load develpment to finalize, but I did have 2 good groups once it settled in the other day. Had a 3-shot group with Accubonds that was around 1/2" at 100 yards. After it kicked the first 2 shots, shots 3-5 were in a nice little 1/2" group in the bull.

But I did find another node that is shooting the Berger 168 VLD's very good on cold-bore 3-shot groups, which is where it counts when hunting.
1/2" group sounds good to me under breaking in. Over here I would mainly use 104gr MJG Lutz Moeller and/or 140gr TTSX in 7RM. Fine alternatives could also be Trophy Bonded Tip and Deep Curl.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

As I said before, if you are interested in consistent a LR precision rifle, go with the heaviest rifle you think you can tote. What's the difference between a 10 lb rifle and a 14 lb rifle? Answer... 4lbs. If 4 lbs is going to make or break anyone in the mountains, maybe they should reconsider hunting in the mountains or shedding weight else where. You can most certainly go with a 10 lb rifle, however, your odds of getting a good consistent precision LR rifle increases as the weight of your rifle, especially your barrel, increases. There is a reason BR shooters don't shoot whippy sporter barrels.

If you want a 10 lb rifle, by all means get one. Just don't expect the same level of reliable consistent precision performance as you would a heavier rifle. You've got to make your priorities.

On optics, there are a lot of good scopes to choose form, and the bottom line is you basically get what you pay for. I have a couple of Vortex scopes and a couple of NF scopes. I like the Vortex scopes, but I would not use them on mountain hunting rigs. I have fallen hard, full weight on my first NXS twice in the mountains and I have no doubt that a lesser scope would have been ruined. That NXS is currently mounted on a 300 RUM and performs flawlessly. You can go with a lesser scope and probably get by with it... but if you ever have a wreck like I did twice... your hunt is over at that point, or you are going to be borrowing someone else's thunder stick. IMO, they are worth the $$$$ and the extra few oz's. In fact, I think they are a good deal for the money. There are scopes with better glass, but NF glass is excellent and plenty good... good enough to hunt in last minutes of hunting light and extremely clear to see great detail at long distances. That said, in the constraints of your budget, I would go with a full custom rifle and a lesser priced good scope and upgrade later.

This is how my 13 1/2 lb mountain rig shoots mounted with the prior mentioned 5.5-22 NXS. I was able to see the .308 caliber bullet holes @ 427 yds. It was a clear day with no mirage.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Need advice on a new stalking rig!-ncm_0011.jpg  

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

My 8 3/4 # custom 338 nm shoots into 1 inch at 400 and 6 at 1000.works great for me taken bit of game past 500 with it with multiple shooters. My heavier rig type rifle shoots same and is just over 11#