Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

need advice for first long range attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2001, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: need advice for first long range attempt

I'd go with the 270win and 130gr SST's. However, out to 400yds or so I would prefer the extra comfort of a 7mag or 300mag.
Best advice I can give is to range test your load at the longest possible range around (up to 400yd). One thing you learn fast is that 1" @ 100yds only equates to 4" @ 400yds in a book! To really know what to expect from a cartridge at 400yds, you have to shoot it at 400yds.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:55 AM

I have been shooting my old 270 this year as I sold my first long-range gun and I am waiting for my new one to be built. It grouped so well with factory ammo (under 1/2")that I started working on taking game at the 300yd marker. I was using the Fed load with the Sierra 150G Gameking and so far I have been very unimpressed with this bullet. I have killed 2 deer this year, both heart-lung shots, one at 310yds and the other at 100yds.
The 310 hit a rib and left many bullet fragments on the entrance skin and took out 3 ribs on the exit. The close one was identicle only no fragments found. Both died instantly but should'nt this bullet have stayed together better?
What would expect different from the SST's?
Thanks all
Old 12-27-2001, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

It's hard to find fault with a bullet that expands well, penetrates the vitals, exits the opposite side and kills dead. I've seen much worse performance.
My only complaint with the Sierra Gamekings that I've used on whitetails was jacket/core separation. I won't complain too much because all the deer made it to the freezer.
As for the SST, it shoots exceptionally well from my rifle and is SAID to be constructed a little stronger then a Nosler Ballistic Tip of similiar weight. I have only shot them at paper so far. With the same load, both bullets will shoot about .30" from my 7STW.
VH
Old 12-30-2001, 10:47 PM
Bronze Member

UPDATE!

Today I went shooting. I put a Hoppes full size deer target on a plywood board (I attached the plywood to a real-estate sign frame, worked well!). I placed it at 400 yards.

If you recall, my idea is to shoot prone from the back of my Suburban with the tailgate down so I can stay warm during the late doe season.

I positioned the Suburban along a line of brush/weeds that separates two crop fields. The distance was 410 yards.

I haven't had too much time to work up the perfect load for the SST's, but a load of 53grains of IMR4350 with a Fed 210M primer yielded about 1.2 inches at 100. Jumping to 54 grains opened things up a bit so I left well enough alone. I hope to see if a max load of 55 grains shoots. I know this isn't great accuracy but we are talking about a stock Ruger 77 here. velocity was 2780. I wished the hotter load would have grouped because the velocity isn't great, but what the heck.

Anyway, my first three shots were dead on elevation wise. one was within .25 inch of the aiming point (the center heart zone on the target)! Another was a lung shot about 4 inches from the first. Unfortunately, the third shot was about 7 inches right of the aiming point. That shot would have been behind the lung area and not likely to a “classic vital zone” kill.

Generally, three shot groups were around 7 inches. Not great, but it was interesting. The wind was a brisk 15mph from the NW. I was shooting dead North to South so I had a quartering wind, which my software indicated would result in 6 inches of drift which did work out.

At any rate, it was a very interesting experiment. I'd like to say it was a no brainer and I could have kept the shots in a six inch circle all day long, but hey, it's the real world.

My yardage is to the furthest edge of picked soybean field against a tree line. My experience is that the deer wander out a good 50 yards into the field at first light. I'm pretty confident that I can ethically make a clean kill at 350 based on my practice session today at 410 yards.

Thoughts from the Gurus?

P.S. I'll try and post some pics. tomorrow.