Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: 338 of choice
Poll Options
338 of choice

need action advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: need action advice

The sako is a nice rifle as close to a custom as you can get out of a factory rig my shooting buddy has one and I have seen a lot of rounds head down range out of one sweet set-up to say the least.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Bronze Member

I donít post a lot so Iím not sure if everyone can view the poll but I looked at the poll and I see that 13/17 people voted 338 laupa and 2 people for 338 EDGE, and 2 338 RUM. I find this interesting why is this? Considering there so close in performance? Is this just due to case life?

BillR just to clarify any long action magnum action will accept a 338 rum case on the bolt face with no modification whether it be a 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, or 338 win mag? All I would have to do is have it rebarreled right?

Iíve never had a smith put on a barrel do they automatically true the action and barrel when they put the barrel on or do they just spec it for headspace, and truing is extra?

How much more accuracy is gained from a custom action? I looked at all of the actions that outlaw6.0 posted and it looks like custom actions roughly run from 1000-$1400. Is there a pretty significant difference between a trued stock action and a custom action? Iím just curious because I would think I could get a stainless rem action for $500, and even if thereís $300 in labor to true it thereís still a $200-$600 dollar difference between custom and stock action.

I have looked at the savage FCP/HS and bet the price for performance is hard to beat, my only neg is I am hoping to stay stainless. I live in Idaho and hunt in lots of bad weather and stainless is a little more convenient.

The Sako TRG is blued also correct?

I apologize for the page of questions, Im just trying to get educated! Thanks for the cooperation!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Silver Member

Any long action rem that currently has a magnum boltface can be used for a rum cartridge. If it was not a rum cartridge it will not feed well though because the rums are fatter.

I don't actually have any proof but I have had a few customs built on common commercial actions and IMO I don't think you would notice any appreciable difference in accuracy going to a custom action. I'm sure that if you were going to use a smaller cartridge and have a custom reamer made up as well as get right carried away in your brass prep you may notice a difference in accuracy though

Sounds like you just wanna build something for long range fun, and there is so many other variables involved that I would just build on your savage action. Being your first build just save your money and go shoot. You're always gonna want to try something different anyways.

It's a vicious circle
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphil View Post
Iíve never had a smith put on a barrel do they automatically true the action and barrel when they put the barrel on or do they just spec it for headspace, and truing is extra?

How much more accuracy is gained from a custom action? I looked at all of the actions that outlaw6.0 posted and it looks like custom actions roughly run from 1000-$1400. Is there a pretty significant difference between a trued stock action and a custom action? Iím just curious because I would think I could get a stainless rem action for $500, and even if thereís $300 in labor to true it thereís still a $200-$600 dollar difference between custom and stock action.

I have looked at the savage FCP/HS and bet the price for performance is hard to beat, my only neg is I am hoping to stay stainless. I live in Idaho and hunt in lots of bad weather and stainless is a little more convenient.

The Sako TRG is blued also correct?

I apologize for the page of questions, Im just trying to get educated! Thanks for the cooperation!

As truing the action will be be an extra expense, I don't imagine that they would just true the action without consent. With a PROPERLY trued 700, accuracy will be pretty close. The custom action will offer enhancements that aren't available or possible on the 700. Plus down the road when you decide to sell your rig, the custom action will be inherently more valuable.

t

Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Gold Member

I agree about the cost of a trued remy action vs custom. Though selling the old barrel and stock MAY get you SOME of that back. I still dont know what I'm gonna do. May just buy the savage and be done with it. I really like the Edge or a 338 Norma mag. Decisions... I might even sell my WM which I would hate because I have a lot of time and money tied up in it or convert it to an edge and buy a cheap WM to replace it. Or better yet buy a savage in 300 win and take it bear hunting and use my remmy for the 338 edge.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Bronze Member

alright I find that pretty interesting. I will more than like use a stock action then if I can achieve the same accuracy. is truing something that any gunsmith should be good at? or do I was to have a smith that is known for long range build but a barrel on and true it?

also .284 mentioned that a 338 rum wont feed as smooth out of a mag action, can this be fixed by replacing the hinged floor plate or what causes the rough feed?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphil View Post
alright I find that pretty interesting. I will more than like use a stock action then if I can achieve the same accuracy. is truing something that any gunsmith should be good at? or do I was to have a smith that is known for long range build but a barrel on and true it?

also .284 mentioned that a 338 rum wont feed as smooth out of a mag action, can this be fixed by replacing the hinged floor plate or what causes the rough feed?

A 'smith worth your time & money will know how to true an action, if they don't

.284's comment was: If your donor action wasn't originally a RUM there will be additional modifications to accomodate the fatter cartridge. Just like going from .308 to .300WSM, you have to modify the action to properly feed the fatter cartridge.

t