Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-06-2006, 10:29 PM

(Near)The turkey was only 30 yards and met some #4's out of my shotgun. (Far)The coyote later in the morning, as I was headed out, met my 30.06. He was a little trickier. Hitting a coyote on the run, at just over 300 yards, on the first shot, is a pretty fair trick. I have no idea how many turkeys I've killed, but it's a bunch. I haven't eaten a turkey tag in over 10 years and most years I kill two (sometimes a 3 or more if I hunt out of state.) Of those turkeys I've killed Merriams, Easterns, and one Rio. I got to say that I have to agree with Ian McMurchy on some comments he made under another thread in regards to turkey hunting. They just aren't that tough to get compared to other critters. Trust me, busting that coyote was waaaaaay more challenging, than this love-sick tom. Turkey hunting is fun to some degree, but once the ticks and snakes are out, I lose interest pretty fast. To each their own.

Unread 05-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Near....Far

300+ running...that's some good shootin. congrats on both.
Unread 05-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Well done, that is a great photo also. Your kids are turning into fantastic photographers!!! You set that up beautifully. Look at the size of the bird - then the size of head - can they really be that smart [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
(all you died-in-the-wool turkey hunters take that with a grain of salt - eh!)
We ever gonna pull the trigger? I am so far behind I think I'm first - got a lot of shooting to do right shortly...
Unread 05-07-2006, 04:31 PM

Ian beat me to the great photo comment.

300 yards, running! Geez...
- -
Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Unread 05-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Holy mackerel Andy !!

I have got to get me one of them ! 300 yd shotguns that is [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Just joshing , thanks for the great photo , but you left your poor rifle begging [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BTW , are you really gonna let Len shoot anything when he comes out ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jim B.