Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My Winchester model 70 hunting rifle "project"...FINISHED!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 11:05 PM

Re: My Winchester model 70 hunting rifle "project"...FINISHED!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner665 View Post
It has no problem at all hitting the "head" of an upper torso shaped steel target at 600 yards...group size hangs around 3-4 inches.
So then pie plate accuracy between 500-600 is not an issue ?
Old 04-20-2014, 02:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
So then pie plate accuracy between 500-600 is not an issue ?
Given the size of the vital area of most game animals (deer, elk, etc.) I would prefer to keep things a little tighter than a pie plate...that is plate about 8 inches...I'd feel better with "saucer plate" accuracy...about 4 inches, and no more than 6 inches.

In a nutshell...a rifle doesn't have to be benchrest accurate to hunt at 600 yards...a 1 MOA rifle will do just fine...less is better, but 1 MOA will put meat in the freezer.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Given the size of the vital area of most game animals (deer, elk, etc.) I would prefer to keep things a little tighter than a pie plate...that is plate about 8 inches...I'd feel better with "saucer plate" accuracy...about 4 inches, and no more than 6 inches.

In a nutshell...a rifle doesn't have to be benchrest accurate to hunt at 600 yards...a 1 MOA rifle will do just fine...less is better, but 1 MOA will put meat in the freezer.
Tighter is always better in every situation.After I went back and looked through the posts I seen where you were as tight as .3" @ 100 yds.I was thinking you were at best .5" @ 100 in which case you would have been closer to my 8" estimation.Hope whatever I end up with is as good as you have gotten it.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Tighter is always better in every situation.After I went back and looked through the posts I seen where you were as tight as .3" @ 100 yds.I was thinking you were at best .5" @ 100 in which case you would have been closer to my 8" estimation.Hope whatever I end up with is as good as you have gotten it.
I've upgraded a few things since I shot those .3" groups...Those were rounds loaded with Lee dies and Winchester brass.

When I switched to Lapua brass and Redding National Match dies (with micrometer seater)...the groups tightened up some.

At 100 yards...it'll print one pretty clean hole...I can always "see" there are 2 shots through it, but haven't yet been able to tell there is a 3rd...basically, a very slightly oblong hole...I do 3 shot groups, plenty enough to feel out a hunting rifle.

If I had the correct scope with fine enough crosshairs, could hold the rifle still enough, and call the wind perfect every shot...it should be capable of 1-2" groups at 600 yards...but my ability seems to be the limiting factor, as such...3-4 inches is what I get.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:06 PM
Silver Member

Nice! Big improvement over factory AND it shoots. Hard to beat that.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I've upgraded a few things since I shot those .3" groups...Those were rounds loaded with Lee dies and Winchester brass.

When I switched to Lapua brass and Redding National Match dies (with micrometer seater)...the groups tightened up some.

At 100 yards...it'll print one pretty clean hole...I can always "see" there are 2 shots through it, but haven't yet been able to tell there is a 3rd...basically, a very slightly oblong hole...I do 3 shot groups, plenty enough to feel out a hunting rifle.

If I had the correct scope with fine enough crosshairs, could hold the rifle still enough, and call the wind perfect every shot...it should be capable of 1-2" groups at 600 yards...but my ability seems to be the limiting factor, as such...3-4 inches is what I get.
So in the end what do you think you have into your gun.That is great shooting !!
Old 04-20-2014, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
so in the end what do you think you have into your gun.that is great shooting !!
$2,350