Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My Winchester model 70 hunting rifle "project"...FINISHED!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Gold Member

Re: My Winchester model 70 hunting rifle "project"...FINISHED!!!

Fine job. Good shooting.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner665 View Post
It took me almost exactly 1 year to do this...and 600 yards is the "long range" it was built for.

It started out like this...new Winchester Ultimate Shadow in 30-06, and a cheap Nikon 3-9x40.

First I upgraded the scope...to a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 and put it in TPS super low rings....

Then I got a McMillan stock, the Winchester Supergrade model.

Then I bedded it...fully...it was my first time bedding a stock, never knew it was so much work to get the fit just right (center, cant, level)

Now its finished...and will make its first hunting trip in the morning.

It was a decent shooter before...but now, this rifle will shoot any ammo you feed it into lil tiny groups...and to the same point of aim (@ 100 yds), regardless of bullet weight.

I've shot reloads with 150 SST's, 165 AB's, 168 BT's, and 175 Berger VLD's...every single load hit 2.75" high at 100 yards (sighted in for 250)...I fired a 5 round group that measured barely 1 MOA, using 5 different bullets (one of each from above and 1 Remington factory 180 grain CoreLokt load).

My 168 grain BT load shoots .3"
The 150 SST's shoot .7"
The 165 AB's shoot .5"
The 175 Bergers shoot .3"

Factory ammo...
Winchester cheap stuff...165 grain shoots .7"
Remington cheap stuff...180n grain shoots .5"
Winchester PowerMax Bonded 180 grain shoots .4" (this is really good factory ammo, also shot well in this rifle before bedding)

Like I said...after bedding, it'll shoot anything you feed it...before bedding, it shot pretty bad with most factory ammo, and pretty good with some reloads...now it just plain shoots!

I went to the range I recently joined the other day...and was making 600 yard head shots (steel heads, steel silhouettes shaped like an upper torso) even with that cheap factory ammo.

I was too busy shooting to take any pics...but I am a happy camper!
I know this is an old post (2012) however; I'd like to know if you sill have the rifle in the Supergrade stock? I'm looking at getting either a McMillan Supergrade or Hunter for my 30-06.

That rifle looks like it turned out great!

By chance do you have any pictures of the forearm width? Just wondering how the Supergrade compares to the McMillan "Classic".
Old 04-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Gold Member

Thanks Ridgerunner for the story. I have a 30-06AI M70 Featherweight set up for the same kind of hunting. I am currently trying the 168 BT for a hunting load. I would not be too hard on the bullet from this one experience, every once in a while the best bullets do something weird if you shoot alot of animals. It was not the velocity as you shot the Deer at 350 or so, you say that the bullet starts 250fps faster, but were all your 308 kills at this yardage and further, I would bet a few came up close to you in the woods, so then the vel. diff would not be there, or did you kill them all at over 300? Anyway due to the shape of the spine bones I have seen unusual stuff even from tough bullets.
Just a thought.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Rebel View Post
I know this is an old post (2012) however; I'd like to know if you sill have the rifle in the Supergrade stock? I'm looking at getting either a McMillan Supergrade or Hunter for my 30-06.

That rifle looks like it turned out great!

By chance do you have any pictures of the forearm width? Just wondering how the Supergrade compares to the McMillan "Classic".

Sorry for the late reply...
I don't have anything definitive on the forearm width...yes the rifle is still in that stock, if I were home I'd measure it for you, but I'm not home (OTR truck driver)

In other news...I have upgraded my scope to a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 with the Z600 reticle...I haven't mounted it yet, heck, I haven't even laid hands on the scope yet...just ordered it about 30 minutes ago, lol....went with Talley lightweight medium rings this time.

Sold the Vortex to a friend...very good scope...but the Zeiss is better suited to the task at hand for this rifle.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomosendero View Post
Thanks Ridgerunner for the story. I have a 30-06AI M70 Featherweight set up for the same kind of hunting. I am currently trying the 168 BT for a hunting load. I would not be too hard on the bullet from this one experience, every once in a while the best bullets do something weird if you shoot alot of animals. It was not the velocity as you shot the Deer at 350 or so, you say that the bullet starts 250fps faster, but were all your 308 kills at this yardage and further, I would bet a few came up close to you in the woods, so then the vel. diff would not be there, or did you kill them all at over 300? Anyway due to the shape of the spine bones I have seen unusual stuff even from tough bullets.
Just a thought.
Oh I wasn't knocking that bullet...I LOVE the 168 grain Ballistic Tip...best darn deer bullet ever made!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:07 PM
Bronze Member

Your 100 yd groups look great.But does that mean they will double in size at 200 yds ? Have you shot longer distances to see what kind of groups you shoot ?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

It has no problem at all hitting the "head" of an upper torso shaped steel target at 600 yards...group size hangs around 3-4 inches.