Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My way to give back to the forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: My way to give back to the forum.

I have gone as cheap as I possibly can on my build. It is working out exceedingly well for me because I am able to hand load and I have found two loads that my "stock" gun will shoot as perfectly as is possible. Anyway, here i go...

7mm Rem Mag

*Remington 700 SPS chambered in 7 RM - $599.99-$100 rebate-$499.99 in Cabela's card points............................................ ............$0

*Leupold 30mm matte rings.............................$39.99
*leupold 1 piece base.......................................$24.99
subtotal.......................................... ..$64.98-$64.98 in Cabela's points=$0

Huskemaw 5x20 Blue Diamond Scope..............$1400.00

Total cost of build............................................. $1400.00

I want to add a scope level and an angle cosine indicator in the future, but this is where I am right now. Of course I've got a few hundred invested into dies, new powder, brass, magnum primers, and Berger VLD's, but I didn't add this to the cost of the build. The gun shoots a 5 shot group that is less than 1/2" at 100 yards and shoots less than 1" at 200 yards. I'm excited to be going out this weekend to collect the data for the Huskemaw turret. Sadly, both of my accurate loads are slower than I would like. The one that I am going to use only shoots 2731 fps on average, but there is only 18 fps of difference in a 5 shot string which is good, it will just limit the distance I can dial. Hopefully Huskemaw can hook me up with a second MOA turret and a ballistics chart because I have already calculated that one turn on the distance turret will only give me 775-800 yards at my current velocity. I tried MANY loads at max and slightly beyond until I showed signs of pressure with several different powders and could not come close to the size of groups that I already had. That is the only frustrating part of the build, but the gun is a shooter, and I can't wait to take it out on Saturday to stretch it out a bit
Old 08-16-2013, 04:21 PM

Re: My way to give back to the forum.

Here's my experience with my 'not custom yet' FN project.

FNH TSR XP 300WSM .... $1022.78
FFL Transfer .... $10.00

SWFA 10x42SF + kit .... $465.85

Accessories via MidwayUSA, Bass Pro and Cabela's .... $689.73
Burris 30mm Xtreme Tactical rings
Super Sling
Butler Creek Scope Caps
Harris Bipod
Redding 300WSM dies
Redding 30cal Comp Seating Mic
Redding 30cal VLD Comp Seating Mic
Barnes Bullets
Plano rolling rifle case
Shooter Chrony Alpha Master
Extra misc reloading gear

Local Gun Shops - when I can find stuff .... $250 +/-
Win and Fed new brass
CCI and Win Primers
IMR 4831
RL 19
Barnes Bullets
Berger Bullets
Sno Cones

Gunsmith Services .... $40.00
FNH Parts ....$11.50
* Thanks to a poor bedding job at the factory and a weak Allen wrench, I broke the end of my Allen wrench off in the front action screw and the rear screw was starting to wallow out. The bedding material had locked the threads in place, and we had to drill the original screw out to remove it. Nobody in town carries a 1/4-32 x 1 1/4" hex screw either, so FN is gladly sending me new ones, at my expense.

Total(ish) .... $$2500

This rifle doesn't shoot the factory ammo worth a flip from what I can tell. 3" groups @ 100 yards were common with the Barnes Vor TX and HSM Berger VLD.

I'm very happy with the way my handloads have turned out, .47" @ 100 yards off the bipod and if I hadn't pulled the 3rd shot, we'd have seen right around 1" group out past 400. I called it low, and my group @ 437 yards (had a good flat spot in the pasture that made it an oddball distance) was still under 1 MOA. I didn't make my wind adjustment, just to see how good my dope calc was in the 7mph breeze. The elk won't know the difference! As soon as the new screws come in, I'll get some good targets shot up and posted.

Happy Happy Happy. Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
My way to give back to the forum.-imag0072.jpg   My way to give back to the forum.-imag0082.jpg  

My way to give back to the forum.-fb_img_13749667053271174.jpg   My way to give back to the forum.-imag0143.jpg