Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My Trip To Defensive Edge Long Range Shooting School

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

My Trip To Defensive Edge Long Range Shooting School

I want to share the story of my trip to Idaho to attend Shawn Carlocks "Defensive Edge" Long Range shooting school. About a year ago I decided to sign up for the full basic and advanced class that Shawn and Bob Carlock offer. I have been shooting to distances over 1000 yards for quite a few years. But, I figured a guy can always pick up some knowledge or techniques when you rub shoulders with one of the best. I was right, this was money and time well spent. Plus, I met some great people there.
Day one found us traveling into the high country of Idaho to a flatspot in the road known as "Long Range Shooting Camp". Upon getting out of my truck I saw the huge wall tent that would serve as the school room for day one and then transform into roomy accommodations for us 4 attendees. Also a kitchen set up for some for preperation of some awesome "Dutch Oven" prepaired meals.
Here is the shooting camp view.

After the class time we moved right into shooting for the next 3 days. Shawn is adamant about getting you trigger time and lots of it. You shoot up, down, flat, into winds with lift, drift you name it. Never a dull moment! There are plans in place with back up plans for what to do if the weather is better suited.
Here are a couple very educational pictures. After a light mountain rain or mornings with a high dewpoint the fog lifts revieling the wind currents. I stood at camp amazed by what the winds were doing as they flow up or down the canyons. Or the lift created as they meet or travel up a slope. It's like the wind was just painted for you to view.

The evenings are a great time too. The LCD flat screen is set up and you have a choice of movies for the evening where we all sit and visits about the days shooting or what ever comes up.

Yeah, we were roughing it!! Yup, thats "ToombStone" on the screen.

Then off to bed. When you rize with the sun you are fed like a king. Here is a small omlet I asked for with some hasbrowns and fresh brewed coffee.

That night after a good lunch I figured on a light dinner. WRONG!!! Can you believe steak patatos, greenbeans and fresh bread??
Let me just say, our Chef, "Cloyd" is the best camp cook anyone could ask for. He is a true dutch over Chef and the meals are better than you could get at the most expensive resturant.

I don't want you to get the idea we were slacking at all. Shawn kept us busy. We shot many rounds at several locations and dstances all day every day.
Plenty of Shawns time was givin to explaining the shots, angles, winds, and drift affects.

Last edited by Broz; 07-25-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

re: My Trip To Defensive Edge Long Range Shooting School

OK, ready for this?? That LCD flat screen. Well it is used durring the day hooked up to a super sonic camera with doubler for spotting trace and hits. Thats right, Shawn zooms into a rock at 1400 , 1500, 1700 out to 2003, or 2300 plus and points to the rock of choice. Then the shooter dials up dope and shoots while the class watches from the viewing area. Can you say "Team Spotting" ?

This little (under 1 moa) rock dubbed "The Chicklet" was blown to bits by Danny (one of the class students) yeah, at 1500 plus yards.

Me taking my turn and just before pasting a rock at 2003 yards with my .338 LM and a gen 2 Berger 300 Hybrid.

More Idaho beauty! And yes, we shot small rocks from that grouping up on the mountain.

Then of course at night we would also spot elk with the camera and TV. More group spotting at it's finest.

The elk are over 2000 yards away on the hill behind the TV.

Just few more here.
From this position we shot way across the canyon to the rock wall where a small point of aim was picked. Shooters took turns while their partner watched with a spotting scope and called out corrections. I think this one was 1700 and change.

1 moa and under shooting was the results even past 2000 yards. By day 3 many 1st round hits were made. I was totally impressed with this class. If you think you could be a better shot and want to pursue the challenge, go for it.
Lastly. At the end of the class as we parted I got a shot of me with two great Extended Long Range shooters. Bob and Shawn Carlock, my new friends.
Thanks!
Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 07-25-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Great post. It's plain to see why I live in Idaho

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 07-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

looks like great fun. thanks for the pictures. it gives a great vision of what goes on in one of his coarses. I have got to sign up for one soon.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Nice report and great pictures to help us experience your shooting school/training. Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Bronze Member

Awesome post Broz

I was in idaho in June taking the basic class! Loved it, Idaho is awesome, and the Carlocks are a great pair of teacher's!

Already on the list for the advanced class for next year can't bloody wait!

SBriggs
Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Broz,

Impressed with your post, in that the pics and words worked very well together.

Very impressive shooting school. What a motivator.....shooting one direction with elk the other direction......what a dream builder.

The northwest is wonderful.

The ONLY readily glaring comment-able observation is KETCHUP with a Steak!!!! What's that about???

Great Post Broz!