Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My smallest 3 shot group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Re: My smallest 3 shot group

Nice job. The first 4 look to be about .100-.120" ish. Nicely done.

Shawn Carlock

Unread 11-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Gold Member

Shawn - congrats - I completely understand about how great it is to have such an utterly reliable rifle, that churns out great accuracy time after time over the years.

Years ago Jim Cloward built my .308 duty rifle, truing the action, chambering and installing the 1:12 twist Krieger, it was later re-stocked with a McMillan by Rick Freudenberg.

Freudenberg's Custom Rifles - Rifles of EXTREME Accuracy

Over the years, time after time, this thing has been so remarkably consistent it's just terrific! I can count on it to remain sighted-in perfectly - that in itself is great. The superb accuracy is icing on the cake. It's my duty rifle. I've also used it for hunting. I've also shot "high master" scores with it in NRA prone competition and have done both good and bad in tactical comps with it. When I've done badly, it's been my fault for sure!

A consistently accurate rifle, reliable as a stone, is a wonderful thing to have. If any of my other rifles are giving me fits, I know I can grab the good ol' "Green Machine" and a box of 168 grain match ammo and proceed to put my shooting world right.

Regards, Guy
Unread 11-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Shawn, congrats on an awesome group. What's really amazing to me is that it was fired with over 200 rounds without cleaning. If someone would have told me about it, I would have been skeptikal but seeing is believing.

It's very interesting to see how tempermental different rifles and barrels are, some shooting well with clean barrels and some dirty and some it doesn't matter.

Maybe I missed it, but what barrel do you have?

Congrats again, It feels real good to know just where your bullet is going.

Unread 11-01-2008, 06:01 PM

The barrel is a Hart Sendero taper fluted, 24" long. My daughter has taken a shine to shooting it (she is 8) with a shorter stock on it. I hope to have some footage of her shooting it in my upcoming video. My son wants to shoot his first deer with it. All very cool things.
Shawn Carlock
Unread 11-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Bronze Member

This is a 5 shot group I shot on a good day.

Checking point of inpact with two rounds this.

And then I handed my rifle to a fella who is a much better shot than I am... would you believe this 3-shot group?? I thought he was taking the piss :confused: Anyway I asked him to fire another 4 th shot at a new target and it was exactly on the same position... it could be or??
Rifle is my stainless howa sporter 22-250 tuned by roedale precision in Germany. PSE light weight composite stock and a-tec moderator.
A bit of varget and 52gr Nosler BTHP custom match.
Forget the 308 holes from the next target.

Unread 11-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Very nice!!!

I have a set of componants sitting here in the shop that I am going to use to build myself a 260 Rem very similiar to your rig. I have always been impressed with the performance that the little 6.5mm can produce and its consistancy is amazing. To be honest, I think it has pretty much made the 308 Win obsolete but ya have to be careful who you say that to as it can start quite a stir.

For example, go over to SniperHide and say that and you would get linched!!!

Anyway, nice shooting!!!
The .308 is a terrible military sniper round, great for cops where the ranges are always less than 300 and usually less than 100, but for the military anyone who understands ballistics knows how bad it is.

The last two things I wanted to accomplish before I left the Marine Corps was to get rid of the Unertl scope and the 308 for our long range work. The 308 is great in AR-10 type rifles for urban stuff, but I am personally a fan of big 7 mm's for long range military sniping, followed very closely by the big .338's.

I don't know what kind of barrel life we could get out of it, but there is nothing that comes even close to the 7 AM with the 200 gr. ULD (as far as trajectory and wind drift) it even beats the .338 AM and flat embarrasses every thing else I compared it to, including my 300 WBY with 210 Berger's, my 30-378 with 240 SMK, and my 408 Chey Tac.

1/2 the wind drift at 1500 yards as my 300 with 210 Bergers. Just over 16 MOA at 1000, unreal.
USMC Scout Sniper 88-94
Instructor 1st. Mar. Div. SS school 91-94
Unread 11-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Gold Member

hell no wonder, all these good shooters are leftys