Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Bronze Member

My setup

I got my scope this weekend.
Remington 700 Tacticle 300 RUM. 26 inch heavy barrel, laminated stock, (still have to work on the floating barrel), Harris bipod(*more about this later), Nightforce 20 MOA Steel base, Burris tacticle rings these are awsome, burris black diamond 8-32x50 fine plex (I really didn't like the balistic plex), federal 200gr nosler partitions. Now back to the Bi-pod. I used it on my 223 savage and got great results. With the RUM it bounces and trys to tip over. Several times I have caught it after it passed breakover(if I would not have caught it it would have ended up on its side). I don't want to go with a taller bipod because of the stability but may need to for the wider base?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: My setup

REV,

Sounds like a great set up.

Your dealing with a little monster we can barrel torque. Drive a long, heavy bullet fast in a relatively light rifle and it will roll all over hell.

Don;t know what you think of them but a Holland QD muzzle brake will stop this nearly 100% and reduce recoil to that of a 25-06-270 class rifle of the same weight.

When you get those Paritions shot up, load up the 200 gr Accubond and you will get some amazing performance. In the tests I have performed, the Accubond will outpenetrate the Partition of same bullet weight when fired out of these high velocity rounds.

Plus, if the parition ruptures the bullet will almost instantly stop penetrating, there is no parition to fail in the Accubond so its even better for close range shots and vastly superior for long range ballistics and performance.

May be the single best commercial bullet out there for the big 30 cals.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com