Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My own darn fault!!!...........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

My own darn fault!!!...........

Well, many of you know that I was fortunate enough to get a rockchuck kill this summer at 2370 yards with my 338 AM nicknamed Black Sunshine.

This was relatively early on in the varmint season so we waited to submit the shot for record until everyone got some shooting in this summer.

One thing led to another and before I knew it the summer was long gone and I had still not submitted my shots to the Varmint Hunters Association for record.

I e-mailed them, it was the first week in November and asked what the deadline was for the Long Shot of The year award was. A nice lady replied and said November was the deadline month. I was happy as could be and submitted all the qualifying shots on line including the 2370 yard kill.

I then e-mailed her again to make sure they received the submissions and her reply was that she had but unfortunately she had made a mistake and that November 1st was the deadline and I had missed it by a 5 days!!! She did say that my shot would be kept on record for the next years competition and that it should be very high up in the ranking if not the farthest of the year.

Now I felt pretty sick. I sent another and just for my own personal punishment had to ask how my shot would have ranked this year.

The reply was I would have won easily with my shot.

Well, the latest VH magazine showed up yesterday and sure enough the winner was Jesse Freese with a 2238 yard kill on a Montana badger with his 300 WSM.

Hell of a shot and I would like to congradulate him on not only a fine shot but also submitting the shot before the deadline!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Would have been nice to go for back to back Long Shot of the year awards but we will have to see how 2007 pans out and if all goes well try for the repeat in 2008.

Only problem is that now alot of very serious shooters know there is a very long shot to beat!!! Guess 2500 yards will be my goal this summer.

Anyway, congrats to Jessie on a fine shot and I have no one to blame but myself for this one. Hopefully the shot will hold up for next years award.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: My own darn fault!!!...........

Damn deadlines, who's idea was that!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

it sucks to be busy don't it !!

I sure would like to know about this guys setup , a 300WSM at over 2000yds , and it actualy killed somthing , thats pretty darn impressive

Its ok Kirby next year you'll just have to kill somthing at 3000 yds to givem the old one up trick !!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

I too hate deadlines..LOL.. they always come before I'm ready for them..

Blygy
Old 12-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

That is too bad about the deadline. I suspect the distance will hold up though. That is a long ways to hit something.

Although, there might be some people in Oklahoma who might try. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2006, 10:08 PM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
Although, there might be some people in Oklahoma who might try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shhhhhhh!!! We might not get our gun till Nov. 1st of next year [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 12-30-2006, 12:31 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Slopehunter,

I hear ya there!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com