Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

my next 30 cal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

my next 30 cal

Hey guys, its been a while. I am in "need" of a biggggg 30 cal and a 30-378 is outta the question. I am stuck between a 300rum and a 30-338lm (because of the great brass) so if u guys would kindly gimme some advice on this decision id really appreciate it. Before yal get started (i have beena member for a while so i know) i do not want a 7mm anything and not really a need for a 338lm (for me atleast). Thank u so muchh!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: my next 30 cal

I am going with a 300 Norma. Still waiting for dies and reamer but its all on order and the smith has the brass already. It's a 338 Norma necked to 30 cal, hard to guess exactly what muzzle velocity I'll get with the 230 Bergers but I'm pretty sure it will be north of 3000 fps. Good points are that the loaded rounds will run in a lapua size mag with no oal length issues to get to the lands and you use Norma brass. It's a bit pricey for the dies though as they are custom from redding. Gonna run a 26 inch 8 twist with a m40 contour on mine.
Something for you to look at maybe

My smith has the reamer for a 30-338 lapua and says he is close to 3400 fps with the 230's but would be surprised if he hit 1000 rounds with accuracy
Old 05-22-2013, 03:19 AM
Silver Member

Barrel life is a big concern as always... I am actually only looking to push the 230gr bergers to about 3000-3100fps in a 28" barrel and I dont know too much about the bigger 30's. I am wanting the biggest 30 with the best barrel life. Then again, I kinda think of barrel life as if they were tires on a car. They all wear out over time, and it sucks when you have to replace them, but its gotta be done regardless. I have a .300wsm and can get somehwere around the 2800 range with the bergers but a few 100fps faster wouldnt hurt. Thank you for the response .284!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

I have owned and worked with all you mentioned. If you plan to go with a 230 gr bullet the 30-338 LM is a great choice. But after making the rounds I will tell you where I ended up. Look over the ballistics of a 300 win with a 28" or longer tube with a 215 Berger hybrid .696 BC. Mine here at 4000' is sending them out at 3035 + fps. Barrel life is good, brass selection is good too. I have taken game to 1285 yards with one shot and rocks and steel to over a mile. I am in no way trying to change your mind. Just offering my experience after running the gauntlet with 30 cals. I am a huge fan of them and I feel I now have the cream of the crop for what I need to do with a 30.

Jeff
Old 05-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member

Just wondering, but why is the .30-378 Wby out of the question? It's, IMO, the best of the ones you mentioned. Why disregard it?

If it has to do with brass quality, the Norma and Weatherby brand brass (which are both made by Norma) will last pretty good if you neck-size and don't get abusive on your powder charge.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Just wondering, but why is the .30-378 Wby out of the question? It's, IMO, the best of the ones you mentioned. Why disregard it?

If it has to do with brass quality, the Norma and Weatherby brand brass (which are both made by Norma) will last pretty good if you neck-size and don't get abusive on your powder charge.
I have spent lots of time with the 30-378 in both factory accumarks and custom rifles with a 30" tube. They do well with the 230 gr bullets. Lots more efficient than that long case with a 210. But when comparing this chambering to the shorter, powder stack of the Lapua case, and the conventional shoulder I prefer the LM. Now when we talk case life the LM walks,,, no,,, runs away with it. The soft Norma brass in this size of a case is hard on primer pockets. If I got 5 firings I was feeling very lucky and this was not a hot load.

Jeff
Old 05-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I have owned and worked with all you mentioned. If you plan to go with a 230 gr bullet the 30-338 LM is a great choice. But after making the rounds I will tell you where I ended up. Look over the ballistics of a 300 win with a 28" or longer tube with a 215 Berger hybrid .696 BC. Mine here at 4000' is sending them out at 3035 + fps. Barrel life is good, brass selection is good too. I have taken game to 1285 yards with one shot and rocks and steel to over a mile. I am in no way trying to change your mind. Just offering my experience after running the gauntlet with 30 cals. I am a huge fan of them and I feel I now have the cream of the crop for what I need to do with a 30.

Jeff
Jeff, I know that you settled on the 215's in your 300, but I was curious if your son was still shooting the 230's or did he switch to the 215's as well? From everything that I have been seeing and reading, the 215's and 230's seem very comparable once you start stretching them out and would love to hear your thoughts. I think it could be great for the OP as well, might change his direction a little bit.