Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My new .300 RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2003, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

My new .300 RUM

Hey everybody. Been a while since I've been around a computer. In the middle of moving into a new house but I did manage to acquire a brand new .300 RUM. I had been debating a long time whether to get that or .338 RUM. I figured I could shoot the .300 RUM w/out a muzzle brake so thats what I decided to get. Also for the ranges I am likely to shoot which is a max of 700 yards on elk and bears, the .300 RUM should still knock em dead. The rifle is a Remington model 700 BDL Laminated/Stainless. I opted for the laminated stock over synthetic to help with recoil. Also, I have more than enough synthetic stocks and there getting dull to look at. I also got another Leupold VX2 6-18 Target with leupold bases and rings. I will take the trigger down to 2.5 lbs and start testing it out tomorrow evening with barrel break in. My deer season starts October 4th and I want to have it ready before then. I'm hoping to get it done in time. I am in a dilema as to which bullet to shoot. I dont want to go any lighter than 180g simply for barrel life and long range shots they have more energy. 200g is what im really looking after. I have some 180g b-tips and also 200g SMK's. They'll all kill deer quite easily, but I'm mainly interested in knowing which bullet would be the best for an elk or bear at 500-700 yards across a canyon. Also what powders and combos have you found to work out in the 300 RUM? I have some H-1000. My goal is to get a good fast, accurate, hard hitting load that will knock down elk and bears off there butts to 700 yards with shoulder shots and hope it will shoot 3 shots into 1 MOA at whatever the distance. Thanks for any help or advice you guys can give me.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:40 AM
Gold Member

Re: My new .300 RUM

Congrats on your new purchase!

I have found that RL 25 and .300RUM's, were made for each other. Using a 180gr. bullet.

The only bullet my Sendero SF wouldn't shoot, was the Nosler BT.
..sakofan..
Old 09-28-2003, 05:55 AM
Bronze Member

Congratulations remingtonman! I've been shooting the 300RUM for a couple of years now and I love it! For your elk and bear I'd pick up some different bullets....I hear the new Nosler Accubonds are the way to go but I haven't tried them yet.You might want to try looking at the www.reloadernest.com for some loads,they have some excellent ones there.Here's a few of my loads to get you started:
1) 96.0 gr H-1000, Fed 215 primer, 180gr B-tip
2)95.1gr RL-25,Fed 215 primer, 180gr BTSP (3244 fps)
3)95.0 gr RL-25, Fed 215 primer, 180gr Barnes XXX (3389 fps)
4) Promise not to laugh at this one!
82gr RL - 22, WRLM primer, 220 gr Round Nose (2910 fps)
5) 91.5 gr H-1000, Fed 215 primer, 220SMK,(3090 fps)
PLEASE REMEMBER THESE ARE MAX LOADS!! BACK THEM OFF 10%.ALL LOADS WERE BACKED OFF.080 OFF THE LANDS.
I have also noticed that my H-1000 loads are with the older version of that powder. The newer H-1000 Extreme seems to be a tad hotter. I subsituted it straight across and found my accuracy dropped off and I gained velocity and the pressure signs that go with it.You should take note of which version your going to use.My rifle by the way is the Sendero SF.I have also started playing with the Retumbo powder. I haven't settled on a load yet but I was getting good groups with 90.5 gr Retumbo,Fed 215 primer, 220 SMK.I feel I could go up a grain or so as my velocity was 2930 fps with no signs of pressure.I'll be trying that in the next few days. Hope something here works for you. Good luck in the hunting season.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

I think I am going to buy a pound of RL-25 and some 200g Accubonds. I am usually a RL or Alliant fan of powders just because luck in the past with different calibers was always great, but I wanted to try Hodgons extreme powder for temperature sensitivity. I am hoping to get 3400-3450fps with 180g bullets, and 3200fps with 200g bullets. I heard where a couple guys have gotten 3500fps with a 180g out of there factory 26" with the MAX load for that rifle. I was maybe thinking about buying some 180g Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertips. I have shot many of them through several guns and they all shot more accurate and were a little faster then the regular Nosler B-tips. Maybe I could achieve 3450-3500fps out of it with the rifles MAX load. I would think past 300 yards they would work just fine on elk and bears. One of my friends just got back from a successfull bear hunt and he shot his black bear from 320 yards with a 180g Nosler B-tip out of a .300 WIN that I loaded for him. I used a max load of RL-22 out of the Nosler book. It consistently shot 3/4" and moved along at 3150fps. When he shot that bear, it dropped on the spot and left about a 1.5" exit hole. So many choices to try I guess. When I finally get my load with whatever bullet shoots good, I'll be sure to post it and hopefully have a story to tell about the big muley I'm going to shoot hopefully. Ha ha ha. Thanks a lot guys for the suggestions and advice. Good bunch a guys here.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:47 PM

Hey 25-06....I see you everywhere. Welcome to the world of the 300 Ultra-Mag. I came to the same conclusion as Sakofan. I started out with 7828 when there wasn't much data to be found for this cartridge. I drew blood a few times from the scope hitting me in the head. I developed loads with the Re-25, and not only improved the re-coil, but improved accuracy. Also, I had to do some bullet research, cheap bullets will separate the jacket from the core at these velocities. I ended up with Speer Grand-Slams, they get perfect mushrooms on recovered bullets from Elk. Also....it is a good idea to do a little reduced load research with heavy bullets. If you are hunting brush with-in 100 yd shots, bullets have a tendency to just 'zip' through with very little retained energy and knockdown power. Accurate Reloading has some excellent data that is safe in the Ultr-Mag with loads all the way down below 2000 fps.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

I loaded up some shells with H-1000 and 200g SMK's tonight. Each with 91g,92.5g, and 94g of powder. I got the info from accuratereloading.com Velocity is in the 3200fps and accuracy is average of 1/2" with those 3 loads. Of course my gun is different, but I thought since I had the bullets and powder I might as well try them out. I wont get to try them out untill tuesday evening. I'll let ya know how they do.

RobertM
Your from Hood River huh? We just went over and got our butts kicked in football from you guys on friday night. 28-6 I recall. We really suck this year. Thanks for the recomendation of RL-25. I get paid wednesday so it will be time to buy a couple different powders and bullets. Good to see another long ranger from Oregon.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

Forgot to mention a couple things. Can I necksize using a FL die? I thought I read somewhere you can. IF you put the press handle all the way up with the shell holder and screw the sizing die untill it touches the shell holder or something like that? Im not positive, but I would rather neck size than full length size. Right now all I have is the RCBS FL die set. Also the first bullet I seated dented the hell out of the shoulder right up near the neck of the case and it ended up looking like a weatherby double radious shoulder. What the heck happened there? I was seating them to 3.6" which is the OAL for the cartridge. Maybe I need some tips for loading this cartridge. Its a new cartridge to me and have heard that some people have had trouble with the RUMS. I hope I dont have any serious problems, but I ran across those tonight while loading up a couple test rounds. Any information why or what caused this is more then greatly appreciated.