Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My Longest First Round Cold Bore Hit to Date

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: My Longest First Round Cold Bore Hit to Date

1395 yards

What can I say... here are my results with the Berger 300 gr .338 Hybrids.

Plus, many more groups have been shot at 1450, 995, 800, 1500. I didn't take pics of all but they all follow siut of these pictured.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 07-01-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

You are one consistant and deadly accutate L/R shooter. Someday I hope to reach that skill level. Great post, great pictures, and FREAKIN AWESOME SHOOTIN'.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
You are one consistant and deadly accutate L/R shooter. Someday I hope to reach that skill level. Great post, great pictures, and FREAKIN AWESOME SHOOTIN'.
Thank you for the kind words.... I do enjoy doing it... it has reached addiction status..

Jeff
Old 07-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Gold Member

I recognized Canyon Ferry even without the silos. I know you are having great success with the Hybrid Berger's, but aren't you loading them at a very conservative velocity. The problem comes when they are kicked in the butt a bit harder than you are I think. Kirby, Shawn and several others were not able to get them to group after about 2900 fps if I remember correctly. Aren't you shooting them right at 2750? I sure would like to drop down and visit sometime, do you work in town?

Jim

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 07-02-2010, 12:19 PM
SPONSOR

Excellent shooting there Broz-outstanding!
I can tell you have done your homework.
I am not at your level.
I hope to get that consistent with my 338AX center-grip XP-100.
I received 250 of the Bergers recently but have been tied up with other projects.
Again, great shooting and congratulations!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4XFore View Post
I recognized Canyon Ferry even without the silos. I know you are having great success with the Hybrid Berger's, but aren't you loading them at a very conservative velocity. The problem comes when they are kicked in the butt a bit harder than you are I think. Kirby, Shawn and several others were not able to get them to group after about 2900 fps if I remember correctly. Aren't you shooting them right at 2750? I sure would like to drop down and visit sometime, do you work in town?

Jim
Jim, My chrono says 2820 but I know it is about 30 ~35 FPS fast. Its a cheepy. Both the EXbal and LB3.0 drops match up great with a MV of 2785 and a G1 BC of .820 Berger says .818 so I feel I have found what they are doing from my rifle.

One more grain of H-1000 and I get cratering of the primer , a slight ejector pin shadow, and a firmness of the bolt lift. So, I feel I am at max for summer temps. I try hard not to over load my rifle. My brass has 9 firings on it and each time it passes a thorough inspection.

I can not speak for what Kirby and Shawn have done. But I have talked pretty extensivly with the boys at Berger. They told me the "slump" was from very fast accelerating loads, like a 338 Lapua loading with a max load of fast burning ball powder for higher velocity. As far as I know, I have not heard of any problem with them from H-1000 or Retumbo. If someone has seen this I wish they would post so we could narrow down there limits. Every bullet has a limit.

I will not say that these bullets will work for the hotrods. But I use to have problems even with 220 swift and a 6mm/284 that would smoke a bullet when loaded up. So I don't see the problem. Bullets failing in wildcats has been a problem for years. I feel this bullet is a great match for many .338 chamberings. Not all, but many. I do not know of any bullet that works perfect in all chamberings of a given caliber.

A few of us have done some expansion tests with the 300gr Berger Hybrid. I got a 1 3/4" exit hole in cardboard after one passed through a 1/4" board, 2" of dirt/compost mix, then 1/2" of plywood and 14" more dirt/compost. This was at 1180 yards and a velocity of just under 1800 fps. Do I want a thicker case to hunt with?? Do you?? Just food for thought.

All I am saying is, it don't cost much to try them in your rifle. Nothing ventured , nothing gained. I like em and I hope they keep making them.

Jeff
Old 07-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Just thinking back. Hope my memory is correct. But Shawn, if you are readin this. Isn't one of your favorite loads for his .338 Edge a 300 SMK and 92~93 gr of H-1000?

I have used 92.5 gr with 300 SMK's for a long time wth good results. I shot several of these hybrids with 92.5 gr and backed off 1 gr to slightly reduce pressure.

So, no I don't feel as I am loading a reduced charge for my rifle. Do I feel these would work in a 338 Edge with a 10 twist barrel and a 92~93 gr load of H-1000?? I sure would not be against trying it..(work up as always)

Another note. Shooting 300 SMK's at 2805 MV, like I have done for a few years. and now shooting 300 Hybrids at 2785 MV. I doubt that 20 fps is affecting me much with the .052 gain in BC. I will do some checking but I doubt I have any more drop. Plus if wanted to I feel when fall hunting temps roll around I could easily put the grain of H-1000 back. But why bother? I like what I have going on pretty good for a rookie.

Jeff