Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My "Long Ranger" build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: My "Long Ranger" build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318lll9740 View Post
The tactical stock is at least two pounds lighter than the USS! Don't get me wrong the USS is a good stock for the bench and if you didn't want to put a brake on a big bore. However for my use the tactical is just what I needed. Lightweight, stiff, practical, and best of all, affordable...

As for the sciroccos, I only shot the level II, and I had mentally psyched myself out cause I was so pissed for spending $65on on the wrong shells. I went by shop today and got the 180 sciroccos in power level III and im ready to see if I can get. 5moa at 200 yds
I'd be mad as hell at myself too over that HA!

As well as you are doing so far I have no doubt it'll get the job done with the full power loads.

I'm going to try the federal premiums next time I take it out and see how they compare.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
I'd be mad as hell at myself too over that HA!

As well as you are doing so far I have no doubt it'll get the job done with the full power loads.

I'm going to try the federal premiums next time I take it out and see how they compare.
It might worth u a try.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:37 AM
Bronze Member

I got a deal last year on nosler 200gr partitions by federal for $40/box at midway. I only sighted it in 3" high at 100 yd and that is a gametaker. I took 4 whitetail, about 9 300lb+ hogs, and huge countless Louisiana beavers( no lie 60-100lb!) , and all these vermin were taken from 50-400u yds. I can't tell you how they punch paper, but I know they lay the smack down!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Silver Member

I sure would like to hear more about your stock!

It's *tentatively* on my list for when i can put my LR rifle together.

IIRC, it seems it has a great price, nice alum. bedding block, nice lug mounts on the side and super tough.

One thing i'm really concerned about is the palm-swell... I have med. sized hands and wouldn't want something i couldn't hang to very well.....

Nice looking rig!!! I hope you get some handloads going and really make her sing!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
I sure would like to hear more about your stock!

It's *tentatively* on my list for when i can put my LR rifle together.

IIRC, it seems it has a great price, nice alum. bedding block, nice lug mounts on the side and super tough.

One thing i'm really concerned about is the palm-swell... I have med. sized hands and wouldn't want something i couldn't hang to very well.....

Nice looking rig!!! I hope you get some handloads going and really make her sing!
Mcmillan doesn't use aluminum other than for pillars. They are 100% composite other than that. You are thinking of the Bell and Carlson stocks I think.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:08 AM
Silver Member

Wildrose - nope, the OP's stock, iirc, is a Hogue. Take a peek at post #16 (gratuitous pic) of OP's rig - it's a Hogue Tac stock and a pretty sweet as well.

I first saw one here:

Review Choate New Tactical Stock - Remington 700 Tactical - TheFiringLine Forums

and from all i've read (never handled it....) it's a pretty sweet deal - especially for the asking price... I'd sure like to speak to someone 1st-hand about it.

EDIT: My bad - had Hogue on my mind when i wrote the above - i knew it was a Choate - even my link specifys it...... duh!!!!

THanks liltank for straighening me out!!!

Last edited by fmajor; 09-18-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
Wildrose - nope, the OP's stock, iirc, is a Hogue. Take a peek at post #16 (gratuitous pic) of OP's rig - it's a Hogue Tac stock and a pretty sweet as well.

I first saw one here:

Review Choate New Tactical Stock - Remington 700 Tactical - TheFiringLine Forums

and from all i've read (never handled it....) it's a pretty sweet deal - especially for the asking price... I'd sure like to speak to someone 1st-hand about it.
That's a choate tactical stock. Check it out on their site. You can find them at midway also.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!