Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My long range rif with new stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

My long range rif with new stock

Gunsmith called yesterday "Your rifle is ready" Had him do the bedding on my Mod 70 with 26" Brux bbl in 7WSM to my new Precision Stock works stock. Shooting it today on the bench in photo turned out to be frustrating. Clean bbl, the load was 65.5 grs of Re#22 behind 162gr Amax . After fouling shots I was able to shoot a 3 SHOT GROUP easily covered by a dime at 100 yds. Then started shooting at same target at 280 yds. Group opened up more than I thought it would . Also was shooting at a Water filled Rock Star can at same distance . I was repeatedly missing ! Then I move the rifle back on paper target and it wasn't shooting like I hoped it would . Dang it ! I noticed I couldn't fit a dollar bill between the bbl and stock forearm ? I had a good rest,B&L 6x24x40mm scope that served me well on other rifles. Called gun smith and told him what's going on. He said bring it by and we will open up bbl channel some more and raised questions on the scope.Last group of the day was bigger ,also bbl had 40 rounds through it with out cleaning. Anyhow upon picking up my targets, that one water filled can at 280 yards I shot at a bunch of times that I thought I was missing ! It looked like swiss cheese ,I was hitting it, but it didn't blow up like 99.9% of water filled cans do when hit ? I'm going to change scopes and try again .
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
My long range rif with new stock-securedownload.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Gold Member

Re: My long range rif with new stock

Sounds like good shooting to me...

I want one.

Maybe a higher power scope or a 60x spotting scope?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
Gunsmith called yesterday "Your rifle is ready" Had him do the bedding on my Mod 70 with 26" Brux bbl in 7WSM to my new Precision Stock works stock. Shooting it today on the bench in photo turned out to be frustrating. Clean bbl, the load was 65.5 grs of Re#22 behind 162gr Amax . After fouling shots I was able to shoot a 3 SHOT GROUP easily covered by a dime at 100 yds. Then started shooting at same target at 280 yds. Group opened up more than I thought it would . Also was shooting at a Water filled Rock Star can at same distance . I was repeatedly missing ! Then I move the rifle back on paper target and it wasn't shooting like I hoped it would . Dang it ! I noticed I couldn't fit a dollar bill between the bbl and stock forearm ? I had a good rest,B&L 6x24x40mm scope that served me well on other rifles. Called gun smith and told him what's going on. He said bring it by and we will open up bbl channel some more and raised questions on the scope.Last group of the day was bigger ,also bbl had 40 rounds through it with out cleaning. Anyhow upon picking up my targets, that one water filled can at 280 yards I shot at a bunch of times that I thought I was missing ! It looked like swiss cheese ,I was hitting it, but it didn't blow up like 99.9% of water filled cans do when hit ? I'm going to change scopes and try again .
Did free floating help ???
Old 01-28-2014, 06:48 PM
Bronze Member

What do you think about the stock. Precision Stock Works is about 40 miles north of me and was considering one on my next build.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

I was so discouraged about wait time on all the stock makers. Checked out" ready to ship" with this company and low and behold they had one for my action . Knowing these stocks are made by MacMillan i couldn't jump fast enough. This stock is "Bad to the Bone" mine was drilled for pillars. On Macmillan web sight they say there stocks don't compress so pillar bedding isn't necessary. So you have the option of getting a stock either drilled are not drilled for pillars. Love the palm swell on right hand side,high comb for large bell scopes,the semi pistol grip. Its lighter than my previous lamante stock. Rocks me back a little bit more. Thumbs up !
Old 01-28-2014, 07:26 PM
Bronze Member

Good to know. Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
I was so discouraged about wait time on all the stock makers. Checked out" ready to ship" with this company and low and behold they had one for my action . Knowing these stocks are made by MacMillan i couldn't jump fast enough. This stock is "Bad to the Bone" mine was drilled for pillars. On Macmillan web sight they say there stocks don't compress so pillar bedding isn't necessary. So you have the option of getting a stock either drilled are not drilled for pillars. Love the palm swell on right hand side,high comb for large bell scopes,the semi pistol grip. Its lighter than my previous lamante stock. Rocks me back a little bit more. Thumbs up !
You actually got the stock I was trying to buy. Your call beat my email by about an hour LOL.