Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My Long Range .260 (pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 05:23 PM

My Long Range .260 (pics)

Hey everybody, I've been reading here for a while but finally decided to quit lurking in the shadows, register, and say hi.

Last year I commissioned Specialized Dynamics to build me a custom DPMS LR-.260 Remington for long range hunting and shooting. I had high hopes for the rifle and to be perfectly honest, thought that maybe I had set my expectations a little too high. After spending some time at the range, and spending some time in the field, it was apparent that my expectations regarding the accuracy of this rifle had not been met, but exceeded. No expense was spared. DPMS LR upper and lower, Magpul PRS stock, Jard adjustable trigger, Apex Gator Grip handguard, Bartlein 1-8 twist barrel, and the Vortex Razor HD 5-20 scope. 1000 yards is nothing for this rifle as long as I do my part. After very little range practice, I was fortunate enough to kill a California Bighorn Sheep at a distance of nearly 700 yards with ease.

Although I was more than pleased with the SD .260's capabilities, I wasnít thrilled about the overall appearance of the rifle. I thought that maybe I was just being petty and tried to forget about it. I had requested Multicam camo as a finish and it just didnít turn out like I envisioned. Nothing wrong with the camo at all. The color pallet was just too bright for my liking. A friend of SD spent a lot of time applying the Dura coat finish in custom Multicam. The problem was, he had never done Multicam before. Not his fault really and I commend him for his efforts. SD was great to work with and didnít charge me for the finish. My hatís off to Scott for his help on this dream of mine. Nonetheless, I had a five thousand dollar gun that I wasnít totally happy with that could be remedied rather easily.

I called my good friends, die hard predator hunters, Todd and Scott Springer at www.hydro-dip.com. I explained my dilemma with the boys and they assured me that they would have the AR looking like the belle of the ball in no time. They had dipped two of my guns already and had never led me astray. I had full confidence in sending them my precious SD AR-10. I told them that I still felt that Multicam was the right choice for the gun but wondered if there was some way to personalize the gun? It had all the bells and whistles of a true long range rig but just didnít look the part of a true killer yet. They came up with an idea and I gave them the green light.

Multicam Skullz

The hydro-dip finish truly is a piece of art. Itís extremely durable as well. I can truly say that Scott and Todd went above and beyond any other dip job Iíve seen. Theyíre passionate about what they do, and theyíre dang good at it. Everything Iíve sent them has far bested my expectations. Theyíre arenít the cheapest dippers out there but Iíd rather pay the extra $30-$50 that they charge and have it done right by guys that deserve my business because the have truly worked hard to earn it. Thanks Springer brothers. You, my friends, are a class actÖ

What a gun!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: My Long Range .260 (pics)

Now that is a bad ***** paint job I love it!!!!!

Jason
Old 03-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome! Sweet rig! Congrats on the sheep! The first paint job was indeed a bit bright .
Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Glad to hear the .260 is doing you fine!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Gold Member

sweet rig man!!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Nice pics!

What do they use to protect the camo?

Scot E.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you boys like it.

The dip is protected by a matte top coat sismilar to automotive clear coat. It's very, very durable and has a great feel to it.