Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My First Custom Build Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: My First Custom Build Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
No I meant it as I stated it. The fluted barrel has a greater surface area than a non fluted barrel of the same diameter. Greater surface area = enhanced rigidity.
I can't dispute this based on personal experience as I have no way of actually testing this. Suffice to say that this is contrary to the grand majority available information from those "in the know." I have no stake in this, just want the correct information to be passed along.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

I will tell you guys what the benchrest crowd has to say about fluting. It doesn't help or hurt accuracy, this is info on barrels with ODs of .850-1.450". The only reason these guys ever use fluting is for looks or to make the 17lb light gun weight, it doesn't make them more accurate and has little effect on cooling, sometimes none on the heavier barrels. I know opinions are like a$$holes, mine is its a waste of 125-175$, however the highend snake fluting does look badass!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

well.. i could care less about looks to a point, and I really dont want to pay for anything that wont make me more accurate. I dont plan on shooting in very fast succession so the heating issue isnt that big of a deal to me. I am not a competition shooter, I am a hunter and a recreational shooter. I do love the Mcmillan A-5 (since we are talking about looks) but all of this custom stuff seems very confusing to me. Bedding, Truing, Crowning, Pillars, and threading.. BAHH its confusing to me. I know what I want but i dont know how to go about it. I tried to go to Kreiger today to fill out one of their forms, but I I dont really know the "terms" for what I want. The sendero contour doesnt have a number with it, so I dont know what to put on the form, and I dont know if my action needs truing or not, etc etc...!!! HELP
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Factory rem 700, yeah definently needs truing, threads recut, lugs milled, etc... full blueprint. As for a Sendero contour its approximately .835" at the muzzle at 26". With a 260 and a Sendero contour you should be able to fire 20 rounds in under 15 minutes and the barrel just be slightly warm. My 6.5x284 has a heavy Sendero contour, .875" at the muzzle, when I played with it in 1 1000yrd relay I fired it 13 times in under 7 minutes and it wasn't hot, pretty warm, but not hot. Your going to spend close to 3k if you want the good stuff, so start saving.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
well.. i could care less about looks to a point, and I really dont want to pay for anything that wont make me more accurate. I dont plan on shooting in very fast succession so the heating issue isnt that big of a deal to me. I am not a competition shooter, I am a hunter and a recreational shooter. I do love the Mcmillan A-5 (since we are talking about looks) but all of this custom stuff seems very confusing to me. Bedding, Truing, Crowning, Pillars, and threading.. BAHH its confusing to me. I know what I want but i dont know how to go about it. I tried to go to Kreiger today to fill out one of their forms, but I I dont really know the "terms" for what I want. The sendero contour doesnt have a number with it, so I dont know what to put on the form, and I dont know if my action needs truing or not, etc etc...!!! HELP
For about 800.00 you can send your action to either Lilja or Krieger with instructions for them to do you a Sendero Contour Stainless Fluted barrel and true the action as well as the final fitting/headspacing.

You cannot come up with a better deal than that.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

REALLY?! For just around 800!!! That's great! That's exactly what I was looking for! This stuff is confusing.. lol sorry for the incompetence.
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
REALLY?! For just around 800!!! That's great! That's exactly what I was looking for! This stuff is confusing.. lol sorry for the incompetence.
None of us are born knowing this stuff. I found out by calling them after I'd seen some mention of it somewhere on the net.

That's what we're here for.