Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My first black bear hunt.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

My first black bear hunt.

I put in for a draw hunt and if I get it I will be shooting at bear this spring (dang near guaranteed).

I will be shooting a .308 Winchester from my Rem 700 vls mounted up with a Leupold 4.5x14x42 mil dot reticle. The loads will be topped with 165gr sierra game kings at 2600 ft/sec.

The bear will be grazing wild onion fields in south central Idaho.

Here are the questions.

What is a safe max distance to take a 300 lb or less bruin with this load? Please be a wee bit conservative as I would rather stalk in for a closer shot than try tracking a wounded bear.

Is your answer from experience on black bear or from experience with this type of load on other animals?

What size is the heart lung kill zone on an average sized black bear?

Please send any advice concerning this subject. All input wanted. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-14-2004: Message edited by: 4ked Horn ]
Old 02-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: My first black bear hunt.

Think of blk bear vitals as the size of a good size deer. Bears are a little more dense than deer though. One thing about bears, if ya dont hit em in the CNS, they will hit the brush ASAP. They also almost always hit the ground after you hit them, making an appearance of a clean kill...They ussually get back up and run, or roll if they are on a hill.

Depending on your shooting ability, say 300 yards in GOOD conditions. Bears can ussually be taken under 100 yards. Stick with neck shots if possible. Bears are like elk, ya gotta hit em right! Theyre just a tad smaller though. Always be ready for a follow up shot and dont hesitate.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Bronze Member

I have shot two bears here in Oregon and have learned one thing they are tough critters! The last one was at 428 yards with a 300 rum square in the heart/lungs and it still ran about 50 yards before it stopped. Just my 2 cents but I would stay within 250 yards or so with the 308. Im told by my buddys who have a little more bear history than I do if you put it right in the front shoulder itself it helps them not reach the next county! Im going to try it this spring if I get a chance. Good luck! Oregonhunter
Old 02-16-2004, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

We went into bear killing a long time ago. Check the search feature and you should find good info.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone. Keep it coming.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:06 PM

Hi Guys,

During last year's deer season, my son was posted on top of a hill in a clear cut while I tried to push some deer to him. As it turned out I spooked a black bear that came crashing out into the open. The bear stopped for a moment in the middle of the field to look around but my son couldn't quite hold the cross hairs steady on the animal's chest. The bear quickly decided to continue on his way and so my son got up and started to run full tilt with his rifle after the bear, hoping to cut him off and get another chance at a shot. The bear hearing the noise diverted into the nearest brush and was gone. When my wife found out about my son's stunt, she just about freaked. My son was made to promise that he would never ever chase bears again, even with a rifle in his hand.

We did have bear tags as well as deer tags and we're hoping to get out in the spring for bears.

Quick question. We bought some scent or incense called "Thirteen Miles of Dead Fish". Has anybody used it?

Cheers,
Rubber Ducky

Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.
- General Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-23-2004, 06:07 PM

Rubber Ducky, I was going to try that scent last season, but never got the chance.

We have used there "rutrageous" deer incense.
Great stuff. I have used the other deer incense as well. Good products.

Based oon my experience wqith the other products, I would definitelyy try it.