Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My Entry Into LRH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: My Entry Into LRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrup View Post
My primary front stuffer is a custom .50 early Hawken style full stock flint lock. I've won many matches with it. I hold the Texas State championship in closed rifle with a .54 percussion half-stock Hawken. I also took second in the championship for light bench with it. I have the CWSA marksmen national championship for rifled musket. I used an Italian .58 1863 Remington Zouave. I just missed the Texas State Musket Championship with it too. Second place sucks. But it's still better then third.
I've done long distance black powder shooting with a friends Shiloh Sharps .45-70. He has it all tricked out and nailing steel rams at 400 meters was a snap. Trouble is in BP long distance it's about $1,000.00 per 100 meters in gun and sights. That's too much for my budget. My I have a 1861 Springfield .58 musket that is good to 300 meters so that will work for me.
Very nice. Never thought about trying anything too organized. Ours is a camp in the middle of the woods with many different paper targets. We use a crow, fox, groundhog, bullseye, and the infamous V-target. That last one is very difficult. The other target that I find very difficult splitting the ball on the double headed ax to shatter clay pigeons.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:24 AM

Where I belong and shoot as is primarily a muzzle loading gun club. However; most of our members just need a range to use and don't do the BP thing. We have some members that are serious military weapons shooters but not a lot of folks are there for long range shooting. The club is working on a NRA certification for BP cartridge silhouette range. Our longest is distance is 425 yards but NRA allows for proportioned sized steel targets.
The first Sunday of each month is a round ball shoot and aggregate scores are kept through the year with a Top Gun trophy awarded in January. I'm currently in second place but threating for first. The third Sunday is an informal shoot of round ball fun targets to 200-300 yard musket steel to cartridge BP matches. This weekend we're doing a round ball rendezvous style shooting from the pouch fun match. We too will do the axe head ball split along with split the playing card, dangling charcoal briquettes, poker chips on a string, steel swingers where the line backs up five yards after each round with the winner being the one to hit from the furthest distance and sometimes a speed loading silhouette match. It's a lot of fun.
Our club is also part of the Civil War Skirmish Association. We hold Texas regional skirmishes three times a year. Last year we hosted the Grand National Skirmish. This is a whole 'nother kind of shooting and it's about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. We do team matches with rifled muskets, carbines, pistol and smooth-bore muskets. We shoot breakable targets and each event has a time limit event of usually five minutes. It's load and shoot as fast as you can with still hitting targets. We also have artillery with mortars and cannons. We tend to generate a lot of smoke on artillery weekends. Each team is a named after an actual Civil War unit. I'm with Company A of the 6th Texas Infantry. I'm also the bugler for the 6th Texas.
With all these opportunities I tend to go through a pound of black powder about every other week or so. I also mold about 275 pounds a lead a year.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

That sounds like a lot of fun.
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrup View Post
I also mold about 275 pounds a lead a year.

Yo, you can be your very own super fund site!!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:45 PM

Start hand loading for my Rem 700. I used Nosler 130gr Ballastic Tip boat tail, with 55.5grns of H4831. The 100yard test was .65" sub MOA. The picture is of my 425 yard test.
I chronographed the rounds at 2700fps. I think it is a bit slow for what I'm looking for. Over all for starting out I pretty pleased.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
My Entry Into LRH-imag0116.jpg  
Old 12-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

According to reloadersnest.com. your load looks a little light. Can't argue with the accuracy though. Might want to look into Reloader 22. One guy has speeds in excess of 3100fps. Looks like you can get the 4831 up over 3000fps also. Keep plugging along if you want more speed. If your happy with what you got, keep on shooting. Looks good so far.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:52 PM

I actually goofed on my scale. I should have loaded 59.5grns but loaded 55.5. I'm going to redo the load and see if it's any better. It would still be a good lite deer load.