Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My buddy is getting better every time we go shooting..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: My buddy is getting better every time we go shooting..

Quote:
I haven't seen any tame antelope or herds of them like herefords, angus, charoloais, or any other breed of cattle in any of them, anywhere they have any hunting pressure.
The last time I hunted private land I wound up shooting a doe on a dead run at 225 yards off the hood of the truck. Hit her square in the chest She was about 450 yards when I got the rifle out but her and her friend came running to the truck to see what was happening.

Quote:
Im not looking to get in the record books. Just shoot a decent buck and have fun while I'm doing it. Im going out there with two other friends. Me and one other are going to doing our first western big game hunt this year. We are going for the experience and the fun. We are going to WY unit 29. Thats an almost garanteed draw with NO points. That should tell you something rite there. And as of rite now, we have no private land set up to hunt.

A lot of ranchers will allow you to shoot does for free if you spend some time driving around and being polite when you ask. Then the next year they may let you shoot anything you want. That arrangement makes it nice in a guaranteed draw area. I usually camp at a reservoir outside Casper and there is a RVN vet who comes from Cal. each year and camps there also and he hunts private land for free just by going around and asking. Of course it helps if you are a people kind of person.

I don't bother with private land being as I have a place where I can shoot up to 2500 yards and there are always plenty of antelope although only one or two would have a decent set of horns. The shot in this video is from a place where we have killed four or five antelope at over 900 yards. I no longer care about horn size as long as the shot itself is long and interesting.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Yes you have a point. Riding around in the Rancher's feed wagon will get the stupid does to come in for some cake/cubes.

Haven't seen the same of any mature bucks though where there is any hunting pressure.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Gold Member

You will be fine. Practice practice practice. If your dead nuts out to 400 or maybe 500 and use the terrain to your advantage, sometimes that means belly crawling for a long ways. Your going to be ready. Just about everybody I know that hunts speed goats every year, shots are 400 and in.