My assessment of my new Savage LRP
I finally got in a serious range day with a chronograph. I was limited to 100yds and the setting is 45 degrees, wind from my back at 10-15, partly cloudy, and the range has a good covered bench. The rifle is a Savage LRP in .260 Remington, 26in barrel, with a Bushnell Elite 3200 10 x 40 mildot scope, Warne 20moa base, Burris Extreme Tactical rings, and a shooter's ridge bipod. I used Winchester 7mm-08 brass run through a RCBS fl size die. I used Federal match LR primers. Berger 140gr hunting VLDs and 142gr SMKs for bullets over H4350. I shot all groups from sitting and on the bipod without a rear rest. I can say first and foremost, if you have never shot a target accu-trigger it takes a lot of getting used too. My groups were 5rd with one or two called fliers in most groups due to the trigger. I am going to adjust the trigger before another range session to bring it to at least 2 lbs. The factory setting is way too light for me. I used 40.5gr of H4350 as a starting load, and went up to 42gr in .5gr increments, seating the 140gr VLDs touching the lands and 0.010 off the lands for each load. I also loaded the 142gr SMKs touching the lands with 42gr and 43 gr of H4350. I only had 12 SMKs which is why the two group limit. My best group with the Bergers was 41gr H4350 seated to the lands which was 3.28in using a Hornady Comparator. The group was .75in and the avg velocity was 2850fps with an extreme spread of 46fps. The best of the two 142gr SMK groups was 42gr H4350 with the bullet seated touching the lands. The group measured .6in and averaged 2870fps with an extreme spread of 61fps. The 43gr of H4350 under a 142gr SMK was not bad either measuring .70in and averaged 2882fps with an extreme spread of 68fps.I did get 2900+ fps twice using 41.5gr of H4350 and a 140gr Berger VLD. I am anxious to do another range day before th big freeze sets in here in MN. I will post some pics this weekend. I am very happy with the rifle and I know the groups will improve with a better rest and shooting prone. Also some more load testing.