Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

My 7 year olds first LR shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Sponsor

My 7 year olds first LR shooting

I took my daughter shooting on Tuesday and after a while she said she was bored shooting her .22 t 50 and 100 yards and wanted to shoot some of the targets futher out. I setup my 260 Rem tactical competition rifle for her. It turns out she could throw her arm over the stock behind the cheekpiece, use the cheekpiece and it worked pretty well. As you can see on the target from 200 yards she shot a great group about 2.5" but high and slightly right of my zero. This difference in shift is like from the fact the stock fit was not great or even good. Guess with shooting like that I'll have to talk to a gunsmith to build her a rifle. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 06-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Gold Member

Re: My 7 year olds first LR shooting

I had my 7 year old son out last night. He normally shoots around 200 rounds a week of 22LR while I'm at the range. He has been getting bored with that so I put him on my Encore 22-250. His first shot was an absolute dead center bullseye on the paper target at 100 yards. He then went to vaporizing clay birds at 200 yards. With him shooting like that and his grampa learning to call coyotes....looks like a bad winter for the yotes!!

Isn't it a blast Shawn?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Old 06-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Gold Member

Good grief!!!! Looks like a chip off the ole block. Isn't it great when your young'ens take an interest in the things that interest you? And it's even better when they show great promise in it! Congratulations for having a good shootin' and good lookin' young lady.

Jim

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 06-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Cool...

I've found women and kids love reactive targets over paper.
Love that 260..--Mike
Old 06-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Bronze Member

Shawn, sure is nice to get them started young isnt it. My little girl is 7 as well and she loves to go shooting with her dad, gives us some quality time to bond. So far she's shot my 22(now she considers it hers.lol) and my 222, She really enjoys it. I know I sure do!
Old 06-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

CHILDREN WITH GUNS???!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] What will they be doing next? Helping the elderly with yard work? Getting good grades and going to college??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think its great!!!

I'm trying to get out of here so I can take the kids camping/boating/shooting. We will be near other people so it will only be the air rifles and bows but its still sending projectiles toward targets...the kids and wife are waiting, hope you all have a great weekend!

Great pics, great kids...your doing it right Shawn.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

Shawn

This may help your Gril from being Bored .

When you shoot try to make it fun .

I have used this with my 3 boys .

You can use an 4 by 4 chip bored an fill it up with Ballons about 6 to 8 in around . an let her shoot them ,when she see them pop she will feels like she is doing some thing .

Another thing I use is browling pins .

You can go by your Browling alley an pick pick up some browling Pins . If you ask the manger If they have some old Pins seting around an ,that you need some to let your kid to use them for target pratice .

I have an 9 year old son that will set up 10 pins up at a time he will knock all of them down with an 22 lr . he thinks that he is doing alot of shooting , he tells every body about hem shooting the bowlning pins .

That what I do to keep my sons from being bored .

Redbone

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards