Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

muzzle loading question- help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2005, 08:14 AM
Bronze Member

Re: muzzle loading question- help

No I do not know the twist rate but I am trying to find out.
I have never hunted with a muzzle loader but would like to next year (if I stay off the road long enough)
Old 03-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

what type muzzle loader do you have? they are a lot of resourceful guys on this forum who dont mind helping each other out.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Bronze Member

Well thanks I have a Lyman .50 cal. I belive it is called
the plains men.
A funny story (not to me but to some). After learning about loading and shooting the rifle my wife and I headed out today. I fired it twice and thought "this is alright" then came the third time.I put on a cap and the cap pop but no fire
so I put on a second cap same thing. well after the third
cap I headed back to the rig where my wife had been watching.She said something like " your smoking more then
the rifle". As calm as I could I explained that after 2 shots it just quit firing.It was her next comment that
made me want to walk back to town.She said " I thought you had to put powder down the barrel each time you wanted to shoot it"
It was a real long ride home with that grin on my wifes face!
Old 03-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

You're right that was funny! I LMAO, only because I've been there. I love my wife to death but she also picks the darndest times to be right. I was changing the oil on my truck the other day and drained it and was putting the new oil in. After about 3-4 quarts I heard this sound and when I looked underneath the truck the oil was running out and puddling on the ground. I was stomping around cussing and she said I knew you hadn't put that plug thingy back yet. I asked why she didn't say anything and her grinning reply was I thought you knew what you were doing.
swabbing the bore often is a good thing and it gets harder to get the ball started as the residue builds. Just takes a good whack to get it going.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the club - now you should go purchase a little doo-dad called a worm, simply a self-tapping screw that will pull out the bullet when you "dry-ball". There is also a bigger spring-like puller for removing patches that pull off down in the bore.
Your wife is an astute lady! Only time I ever had my wife out "helping" on a muzzleloader shoot I fired the damn ram-rod, never did find it. That also ends your day on a sour note. Embarassing to call the factory and ask for another ram-rod, it was an oddball size and I could not buy one locally. The guy immediately knew what I had done, but he was good about replacing it.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Bronze Member

Your 100% right . Boy I have done some bone head things
both on and off the range and after 31 years of being married she just expects it. Hey whats a guy to do?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member

PD

In all probability what you have is the Lyman Great Plains rifle, which is a very heavy Hawkens style (9lbs). It normally is a round ball gun (60 twist) but if I remember right they came out with a barrel for sabots and minie balls that is somewhere around 32" twist.

tight patch around the jag on a handle that turns will will quickly tell you what you have.

Second it is possible to pull the nipple and pour enough powder down the flash hole and then put the nipple back on. Normally just enough to barely blow the ball out the barrel.

BH