Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Muzzle brakes that don't blow off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 07:06 AM
Silver Member

Re: Muzzle brakes that don't blow off

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
Bob, let me clarify. I mis-typed in that post and didn't catch it until it was too late to edit.

I cut most of the threads advancing the compound. This keeps the cutting on mostly one face of the cutter. Any time you cut on two surfaces of a cutter you are more likely to get hum and chatter. I finish the threads advancing the cross slide. This evens up the back face of the threads I have advanced along in steps. The final cuts using both sides of the cutter are very light, again to avoid chatter.
Ahh ! That explains nicely, thanks again!

Bob
Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 AM

Excellent post! I have a rifle on the way to Grit for a re chamber. Maybe he can make it his next post! Think I chose a great guy to do the work!

Cheers,

Stephen
Old 04-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

Great explanation. Ill go on my wood lathe and install one myself. I do disagree on Ant-Seize, JB weld is much more secure...
Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0pph View Post
Great explanation. Ill go on my wood lathe and install one myself. I do disagree on Ant-Seize, JB weld is much more secure...
That's funny!

A gunsmiths perspective is a bit different. Tight fitting stainless steel will stick to itself, galling and tearing. Dry threads can ruin themselves. The way these things are fit and torqued on, I worry about being able to get them off, not keeping them on. They don't come loose on accident. If one did loosen , the seam would be instantly visible, and it'd have to nearly fall off before it caused a problem.

I remember high school metal shop. I saw the principal once or twice for building "weapons". They didn't appreciate me switching a centerfold for the safety poster either.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
That's funny!

A gunsmiths perspective is a bit different. .................................................. ......................................I remember high school metal shop. I saw the principal once or twice for building "weapons". They didn't appreciate me switching a centerfold for the safety poster either.
grit, that reminds me of Bill Cosby's (before he was anti GUN) "why is there air " album when he said in shop class...."I didn't put the bullet in the furnace ....and quite talking bout my MAMA!!!!!!"
Sorry, you may not have been born back then,,,my bad, but it was famous "..." back in the day. We only had wood working tools so I built a cedar bedroom suit. Your work is impressive!!! Full speed ahead.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

It would be really cool to do a similar thread of a build from start to finish.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Glad to hear it was appreciated! I'll do more.

I like your shop made micrometer stop BTW. and like me, you wear no safety glasses...lol

You do nice work and I say that from experience. I like assemblies to fit...just so.

I always lead in with the compound as well, except coarse pitches where root depth is sufficient to preclude chatter.

However, I triple charge when customers are in my shop. I've never liked people watching me, they always have too many questions that I don't have the patience to answer. Especially when running the Tig. Takes a lot of concentration at my age to get a nice even stack of dimes.....

Now you've got my interest so I too want to see more.....