Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

muzzle brakes for 300 win mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: muzzle brakes for 300 win mag

As already stated the brakes allow a much more comfortable day of shooting and most of all, for me, they allow me to get back on target to see hits after a given distance. I just built a fairly light 300 win mag. Even with the 28" Sendero contour barrel and a 2lb Nightforce scope it comes in at 12.6 lbs with bipod. My wife is a small framed gal of 5' 3" and she shoots this rifle loaded with a stout load of H-1000 and a 210 Berger getting a velocity of just under 3000 fps. She shoots it well and took her Elk this year at 415 yards. The brake on this rifle was recommened by the smith that built it. It is the JP precision. I have since put this brake on two other rifles, a 7mm Rem and a friends 300 win. These brake work and I like the looks and the ease of cleaning. If installed correctly, you can clean the crown as well with out removing the brake.

Thats mt 2 1/2 cents.

Jeff
Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: muzzle brakes for 300 win mag

There are lots of breaks to choose from, and they all reduce felt recoil by 30% to 50% depending
on there design.

Looks are important also and you need to decide what you like the best on your rifle.

The more effective the brake the is , the more noise and shock wave it produces. And the quieter
the break the less effective it is at reducing recoil.

The most effective style of breaks is the "Fish gill" (Like the big 50s have) with the baffles angling
backwards, but they are the loudest and produce the biggest shock wave.

Next is the large ported brakes with baffles (Like the Holland,DE,Pain killer,Muscle ETC) and are
very popular with the long range crowd with the larger magnum rifles.

Smaller breaks with drilled holes make up the rest and depending on there design(Baffled or not)
are the least effective but are considered the best looking by some.

I have and use all types depending on the application and looks on certain rifles.

For hunting rifles I recommend the quieter style of breaks, and for prone shooting the large ported
breaks with no holes on the bottom and maximum effectiveness.

If you don't like to were hearing protection (Not recommended with any shooting) then no break
is best.

J E CUSTOM